CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

LS6 coolant loss

Kendall

Has anyone experienced rapid loss of engine coolant with their CTS-V motor? California car shipped to U.S.Embassy in Beijing,normal city driving,normal heat range, 28,000 miles and no leaks on the garage floor, but check engine coolant light is a 4-6 week event,always need to add about one pint. The one Cadillac dealer in Beijing is improving, but don't see their service as helpful. What am I missing ? Small leak that just gets cooked off in the engine compartment ? Kendall, Operations Manager, Beijing Embassy.

I have no (zero) experience with the LS6 but I don't see losing a pint of coolant every 4 to 6 weeks as a major leak. Of course, the cooling system should be "water tight".

Perhaps the (cold) coolant level is not at the proper level OR the coolant level message sensor is faulty?

A very small external leak can vaporize or be blown away by road draft. If the cooling system is maintained with Dex-Cool, there might be (difficult to see) traces of white/gray residue at the source of the leak.

Good luck!!

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

A leak this small can be anywhere. I would start by putting on a new radiator cap -- be sure it's the exact right part number, and an AC/Delco part. Other possibilities are small leaks at the hose clamps; as JimD says you can look for a white powdery residue near a hose clamp. If you don't find it there you can look at the traditional places like the radiator and water pump but those are very rare for a low-mileage new car.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Check the engine oil to make sure there's no antifeeze mixing with the oil. Look at the oil filler cap, if there's a residue that looks like the color of the antifreeze then you've got an internal engine leak that's causing the antifreeze to mix with the oil.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Archived