CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Steering Wheel Returnability

adallak

Lately, I have noticed that the returnability of the steering wheel is not as fast and complete as it used to be. Fleetwood is a RWD car. I have lifted the front end up to look for any visible problem. Did not find anything. Greased all the seven points except the ball joint, which couples the steering linkage relay rod to the pitman arm. Could not get any grease into the fitting.

Could it be the culprit causing poor steering wheel returnability? What is the fix? Thank you.

post-312-128586560157_thumb.jpg

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Is it slow returning from both right & left turns? My first thought would be an alignment issue. But if it is happening equally on both sides, it wouldn't seem that an alignment can cause it.

I believed that what causes the steering wheel to return to straight is the cars momentum pushing to go forward & straightening out the front wheels.

Is it slow returning from both right & left turns? My first thought would be an alignment issue. But if it is happening equally on both sides, it wouldn't seem that an alignment can cause it.

I believed that what causes the steering wheel to return to straight is the cars momentum pushing to go forward & straightening out the front wheels.

Honestly, I do not know whether it is equally slow from the both right and left turns, but I will pay attention to check it out.

What might prevent grease getting into the mentioned ball joint? Does the ball joint come with the rod?

The front end alignment caster is important in steering wheel return. Caster is the tilt of the axis of steering rotation. Zero caster will give no return force. The wheel alignment specifications in the 1997 FSM, page 3A-6, are 2.3 degrees, plus or minus one degree, but the caster on the left and right wheels must be within one degree of each other. Camber should be zero, plus or minus half a degree, with the left and right wheels being within three-quarters of a degree of each other. Toe-in spec is 0.1 degrees, plus or minus 0.1 degrees for each wheel. The steering wheel centering spec is within 2.5 degrees.

What it sounds like to me is that the front tires are low on air or are worn. It's also possible that the caster is out-of-spec. You should also check your suspension for wear, including tie-rod ends.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

The front end alignment caster is important in steering wheel return. Caster is the tilt of the axis of steering rotation. Zero caster will give no return force. The wheel alignment specifications in the 1997 FSM, page 3A-6, are 2.3 degrees, plus or minus one degree, but the caster on the left and right wheels must be within one degree of each other. Camber should be zero, plus or minus half a degree, with the left and right wheels being within three-quarters of a degree of each other. Toe-in spec is 0.1 degrees, plus or minus 0.1 degrees for each wheel. The steering wheel centering spec is within 2.5 degrees.

What it sounds like to me is that the front tires are low on air or are worn. It's also possible that the caster is out-of-spec. You should also check your suspension for wear, including tie-rod ends.

Jim, thanks for the reply. All tires look perfect and are inflated as properly as they have been before. Not sure of the alignment. Hate to have a problem, which is out of my control.

Archived