CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Bad struts at 60,000

danbuc

I am the third owner of my '98 STS. When I got it, it felt like driving a boat on the high seas. I decided to check the position sensors for the front strut and the rod that snaps into the ball joint on the lower control arm popped out. I don't know how long this has been like that. I believe that not having the sensor connected caused the eletronic shock to wear out prematurely do inpart to not being controlled properly. I now have to get them replaced for about 1800 after parts and labor and thats only a rough estimate. I was just wondering if anyone has had a problem like this or knows of someone who has. This really sucks. <_<

I cut and pasted this from a reply I wrote the other day to a member with a similar dilema. I hope this helps:

>"Yenko, if your shocks/struts on your '93 need replacing (which would be about right by now), there is a much more cost effective option than those expensive factory 'active' units. Two companies that I know of make a passive replacement system that works very well. They are Arnott inc., and Boston Suspension. I recently replaced all four on my '93 STS with the kit from Arnott, for 579.00$. The result has been a remarkable increase in ride quality and handling. The Arnott set also come with plugs that "cheat" the computer, and eliminate any further messages. The total labor involved was four or five hours, so you can translate that into shop labor time, depending on you region. I would guess that the labor might go 350-400 bucks. That would end up cost you about a thousand dollars for a complete suspension overhaul. I might add that its a good idea to replace the front stabilizer bar end links and bushings, as long as you/they have the front end apart. It's a small cost, and will save you from funny noises and headaches later, as those parts will definately need replacement after ten years.<"

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

I am the third owner of my '98 STS. When I got it, it felt like driving a boat on the high seas. I decided to check the position sensors for the front strut and the rod that snaps into the ball joint on the lower control arm popped out. I don't know how long this has been like that. I believe that not having the sensor connected caused the eletronic shock to wear out prematurely do inpart to not being controlled properly. I now have to get them replaced for about 1800 after parts and labor and thats only a rough estimate. I was just wondering if anyone has had a problem like this or knows of someone who has. This really sucks. <_>

When I bought my 92 SLS, it had 49,810 miles and all four active struts were shot. I could only install the passive struts on that car and did. I'm satisfied with the way it handles.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I did GM's spliced relay thing on my 95 Deville. That worked out very well, especially since the struts were fine, it was just the electronics that were messed up. It cost me about $70 bucks in parts and allowed me to continue using my Struts.

I wrote up how to do it, but I think it got lost in the crash. I'll see if I can findit in my old files..

Archived