CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

tensioner noise

joeb

serp belt is making noise. changed idler pulley 6 months ago. tensioner pulley is several yrs old. i put stethoscope on tensioner and it is clicking/snapping for sure. took it off and pulley is very quiet. can tensioner arm which is spring loaded somehow fail so it makes noise? i checked alt, ps, a/c and they are all quiet. i can hear noise outside of car with hood closed. very annoying.

serp belt is making noise. changed idler pulley 6 months ago. tensioner pulley is several yrs old. i put stethoscope on tensioner and it is clicking/snapping for sure. took it off and pulley is very quiet. can tensioner arm which is spring loaded somehow fail so it makes noise? i checked alt, ps, a/c and they are all quiet. i can hear noise outside of car with hood closed. very annoying.

The pulley may be fine, but the tensioner spring gives up. Replace the tensioner.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

i have read that the cheap tensioners have an internal spring but no dampener so they do not work like the factory units? the idler pulley just sings with the scope. just a whrrr sound. the tensioner body really clicks/snaps but it is erratic. i can touch the bolt head for the idler with the scope but the tensioner pulley is behind the arm so i can't really reach it.

changed tensioner. got an ac/delco and it is quiet. no more clicking/snapping.

Are those tensioners inexpensive if you dont mind me asking, I will be changing mine along with the belt before the year is over.

Archived