CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

A/c low refrigerant

JayAllah

I have a 1994 Cadillac sedan deville, 4.9 motor. I recently had a vacuum leak fixed so that my air would go thru vents. I serviced the compressor myself with a refill kit, and followed directions to a tee. I used 3 cans @ 12 oz and it only held at 40 psi. I could have added another can to makebit 45 to 50 psi, but figured it wouldn't make a difference. Drove around with system blowing on full blast for 30 mins and all of a sudden my onboard diagnostic reads " ac compressor off" and " low refrigerant"

Could anyone tell me what could possible be the problem before I take it to a professional

I have a 1994 Cadillac sedan deville, 4.9 motor. I recently had a vacuum leak fixed so that my air would go thru vents. I serviced the compressor myself with a refill kit, and followed directions to a tee. I used 3 cans @ 12 oz and it only held at 40 psi. I could have added another can to makebit 45 to 50 psi, but figured it wouldn't make a difference. Drove around with system blowing on full blast for 30 mins and all of a sudden my onboard diagnostic reads " ac compressor off" and " low refrigerant"

Could anyone tell me what could possible be the problem before I take it to a professional

It should only be filled to 35, so it's a good thing you didn't take it to 50!! can you see oil dripping out of the system from anywhere? put your pressure gauge on it again & see what you have. If it's still at about 40, then it can be a bad sensor. I suspect you lost it all because of a bad seal in the compressor.

BTW a professional + a 16 year old AC = $$

KHE is our AC expert.

Inspect the entire system - all lines, condenser, compressor, accumulator, etc. for oil or greasy dirt as evidence of a leak. It sounds like there is a large leak in the system somewhere.

A low side only gage is really useless. An A/C system is not a tire... it requires a specific quantity of refrigerant to function properly. You must use a vacuum pump to draw a vacuum on the system and then cherge the refrigerant into the vacuum or you will have air in the system which will raise system pressures considerably and reduce cooling performance.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

That is probably the source of the leak. What is the conditon of the o-ring in the plastic cap? The schrader valve coule be leaking and in need of replacement.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived