CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Heated seat & rear defroster woes

sprucegoose

I recently bought a 98 Eldorado that is pretty clean, but has a few bugs to be worked out. With the cold weather coming on both of these could be an issue. Especially the rear defrost, whick seems to barely work on a few of the wires running across the window. Is this a sign there is a short somewhere, or has anyone had this problem with their car?

The passenger heated seat works great, but nothing on the drivers side. Is there a common problem with these or where should I start looking for a solution to this issue? I have a set of manuals coming my way by the end of the week, but I sure would appreciate any suggestions on trouble shooting here.

Thanks!

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

I recently bought a 98 Eldorado that is pretty clean, but has a few bugs to be worked out. With the cold weather coming on both of these could be an issue. Especially the rear defrost, whick seems to barely work on a few of the wires running across the window. Is this a sign there is a short somewhere, or has anyone had this problem with their car?

The passenger heated seat works great, but nothing on the drivers side. Is there a common problem with these or where should I start looking for a solution to this issue? I have a set of manuals coming my way by the end of the week, but I sure would appreciate any suggestions on trouble shooting here.

Thanks!

The rear defroster issue has been discussed here before. Breaks in the conductive coating on the glass are easy to locate by rubbing the conductors on the glass with fine steel wool while the defroster is powered. You'll see sparks when you cross a break in the conductor. Your auto parts store can supply you with a brush-on repair solution.

The heated seat problem is most often the heating element in the seat. Once your manuals arrive you'll have an easy time unplugging the heating element and measuring its resistance to determine its condition.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Archived