CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

99 Deville Overheating

I have a 99 Deville that is loosing coolant. I was told it was water port Jackets that go under the intake manifold that there are 8 pipe/ hoses 2 to 3" long that go from the manifold to the block?? I can't find any info on this. does anyone know anything about this????

I have a 99 Deville that is loosing coolant.

Losing coolant is not a good situation. How much coolant do you to add per week or per 500 miles, any idea?

How long have you been driving the vehicle? Did this losing coolant start recently?

I was told it was water port Jackets that go under the intake manifold that there are 8 pipe/ hoses 2 to 3" long that go from the manifold to the block?? I can't find any info on this. does anyone know anything about this????
You were given bad information. Your cooling system does not flow through or under your intake manifold.

Do a carefull inspection and look for evidence of 'external' leaks.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I have a 99 Deville that is loosing coolant. I was told it was water port Jackets that go under the intake manifold that there are 8 pipe/ hoses 2 to 3" long that go from the manifold to the block?? I can't find any info on this. does anyone know anything about this????

I bought the car about a month ago. the first three days nothing happened with it, then check coolant level started showing up. like last night I went 2 miles it said check coolant level so I added a bottle of dex cool and got in in the afternoon the next day and said it again. went and filled it again and drove two times today and it says nothing. It has not overheated just says that and then I fill it up.when you drive it after you fill it up never says it again until it sits and cools off and then you have to fill it.

....It has not overheated
That is good news.
....when you drive it after you fill it up never says it again until it sits and cools off and then you have to fill it.
At the risk of repeating myself: check for external leaks.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I bought the car about a month ago. the first three days nothing happened with it, then check coolant level started showing up. like last night I went 2 miles it said check coolant level so I added a bottle of dex cool and got in in the afternoon the next day and said it again. went and filled it again and drove two times today and it says nothing. It has not overheated just says that and then I fill it up.when you drive it after you fill it up never says it again until it sits and cools off and then you have to fill it.

I can see it leak looking at the car. but can not see where it is coming from...I just thought someone might know if the mechanic that told me what I stated earlier was right or was I being lied to.

The info you were given was wrong.

If you can not determine where the leak is coming from, I would take your car to a radiator shop and have them pressurize the cooling system to see where the leak is coming from. Once you determine where the leak is coming from, report back to us and we can help..

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I can see it leak looking at the car. but can not see where it is coming from...I just thought someone might know if the mechanic that told me what I stated earlier was right or was I being lied to.

The mechanic is wrong.

Do as Body by Fisher said.

Take it and have the cooling system pressurized to find out exactly where it is leaking at.

Posted Image

My 97 sls had a water leak that started small and became annoying. I found the leak on the passenger side tank at the hose connection and I removed the radiator, at the radiator shop the mech. said this is the weakest side of the radiator because of pressure and vibration. He said for only 50.00 more he would have R&R it for me? Also had a leak at the water pump housing easy fix. I would look at these two areas first. Mike

Your name says Don't know Jack, so I assume that means you are not familiar with this car at all, especially given your initial question.

A 99 can be leaking anywhere there is no 'typical' place that it leaks, today the tank tomorrow the heater pipes. You have already said you see the leak but can not see where its coming from,

The Northstar can leak at MANY places, here is a list.

Hoses, radiator hoses, heater hoses, purge line hoses, green silicone hoses

Clamps

Heater Pipes behind the engine

Coolant Tank

Radiator end tanks

Radiator fins (rare)

Alternator water cooler if it has one

Crossover seals

Water pump body seal

Water pump

Heater Core

Bad cap, releasing pressure too low

Throttle Body circuit hose

Thermostat seal

Rather than waste time, and given the multitude of places this engine can leak given your admitted unfamilairity with this engine is the reason we said to have the system pressurized to identify the leak. A professional will put it on a lift and find it immediately. Quick and easy and there will be NO guessing games. Keep playing games and you can cause more damage due to coolant loss

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Archived