CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

BATTERY NO CHARGE ALERT

Hello to everyone...I am a new member as I just purchased a nice red 1997 Caddy Deville and I took owners word it was a good car...LOL ...anyways after leaving their house the Coolant resevoir had a broken filler hose connection (I bought and replaced entire unit-but was having issues with filling up the car and had a nice day of fixing that issue ) and then all of a sudden, the battery no charge came on...I have been told that maybe the battery was so bad and the former owners either charged it :fighting0025: and didnt tell me; but the point is that someone says that if the battery is bad after a bit it wont take a charge....and besides driving to pep boys to have system checked, is it true that on the 1997 Deville if you remove the battery hot cable and the car still runs the altenator is good. If the car dies the altenator is bad. Any words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated. I will post photos of this car when I can get it corrected! Thank you all very much in advance for your help! :hatsoff:

Can't help you much on the no charge message without voltmeter readings with the engine OFF and with the engine running.

And knowing what diagnostic trouble codes are set would be a major source of usefull information. You might find the method to display the codes for your year - model at this page:

http://www.caddyinfo.com/readingcodes.html

What was the result of the battery test?

It is NOT recommended to take the battery out of the circuit with the engine running. That was a reasonable test for a 1955 model but not a 199x model.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Make sure the battery cables are tight and clean.

Check the belt tension.

Check the alternator for odd noises.

Check the battery voltage with the key off. It should be around 12.5 volts.

Start your engine and check your voltage again at the battery with no accessories on. It should be greater than 12.5 volts but not more than 14.5 volts. Turn on all your accessories and increase your engines RPM's to 2000, the voltage should not drop below what you just recorded.

If the voltage is greater than the specified charging voltage, replace the alternator.

If the indicated voltage reading is less than the specified charging voltage, replace the alternator.

Before changing your alternator I would suggest you go to your local part store and have the charging system checked. They do it for free

Thanks to both replies. On the car when off the thing reads 11.2 volts and has not dropped. I drove the car with the lights on and it ran fine, with no notice of any failures. Is it possible that the codes need to be cleared? When started up it doesnt come on right away-seems like about 30 seconds or less it will turn the red battery symbol on and announce the (just state it on the screen) the Battery not charge. Is there any possibility that the battery is just bad? I am going to go get a volt meter in the am and also try to take the car to the auto parts store to check the system. Thank you for your replies!

WOW, as noted do not detach the battery while the car is running, the engine WILL die and you will ruin the alternator

As noted above, check for codes, that red light should have sent a history code, see what you find

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Archived