CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1976 Coupe Deville rear end

hankk17

Hi All. I've got a recently acquired 76 coupe deville that is in fantastic shape except for a few small issues here and there. It's only got 64k on it and very little rust.

My question is this - I've been hearing a low but perceptible grinding coming from the rear end. Feaering the worst, I took it to a local shop and had them check the differential oil and sure enough it was black sludge with metal filings mixed in. The mechanic didn't seem overly concerned about the filings so for now I had them clean out the gunk and put new oil in the differential. I have yet to pick it up so I'm not sure if the grinding is gone or not...but it got me to wondering if it was indeed a major problem, how would I even go about rebuilding or replacing it? Do any of you know a good supplier for rear end parts of this nature?

I've already done some searching on my own but can't find any OEM suppliers that will supply the gears themselves - only the bearings. I've found other places that will sell kits but I need to know gear ratios and other measurements I'm not sure I know accurately enough to justify dropping $1-2K on parts with.

thx!

Your picture did not come through.

As far as the rear end is concerned, you need to determine if the issue is the wheel bearings or in the differential itself. I can't remember if those differentials had the welded housing or if there was a removable cover. If the cover is removable, you could check the condition of the gears for abnormal wear patterns.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

If you need parts, I did a search at www.rockauto.com and they have parts for your differential

Mike

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

A grinding noise coming from the rear axle in a low-mileage older car is most often wheel bearings.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Back in the day...you would never rebuild a rear end. Repair a axle bearing...sure. But get into a gear problem? No. Cheaper and faster to replace the rear end.

Of course, thats back in the day when rear ends were a dime a dozen used.

Could be posi noises, wrong fluid. Or- could simply be normal rear end sounds. People forget how noisy rear ends were before front wheel drive.

If you need parts, I did a search at www.rockauto.com and they have parts for your differential

Mike

Thanks Mike - I already checked them out and they and most of the other parts sites I've seen only stock bearings and races and a few seals. If I need to replace the actual gears inside, I don't know where to look... that's really the crux of my question I suppose.

Back in the day...you would never rebuild a rear end. Repair a axle bearing...sure. But get into a gear problem? No. Cheaper and faster to replace the rear end.

Of course, thats back in the day when rear ends were a dime a dozen used.

Could be posi noises, wrong fluid. Or- could simply be normal rear end sounds. People forget how noisy rear ends were before front wheel drive.

Hey Logan! you and I have traded messages in the past on another caddy forum about a 99 eldo I had. I've since gotten rid of that and now this is my baby lol.

but yeah, I remember those days.. rebuilding a rear end was definitely unheard of. Guess I'll check around some of my local boneyards :-)

Archived