CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Water Everywhere!!

Marika

I agree with the general consensus. If you don't remove the carpets and dry it good it will never dry underneath the carpet. Rust and mildew are sure to grow.

As for the brakes. An inspection will never find it til it's too late. The moiture gets absorbed by the brake fluid and does the damage inside the caliper. You won't notice it til a brake starts hanging up. If you drove through water that deep it might be good preventive maintainance to bleed the lines and put fresh brake fluid in them.

I agree with the general consensus. If you don't remove the carpets and dry it good it will never dry underneath the carpet. Rust and mildew are sure to grow.

As for the brakes. An inspection will never find it til it's too late. The moiture gets absorbed by the brake fluid and does the damage inside the caliper. You won't notice it til a brake starts hanging up. If you drove through water that deep it might be good preventive maintainance to bleed the lines and put fresh brake fluid in them.

I'll call the mechanic and see what he says. Good Idea.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

You might pull the carpet out of your trunk and see if maybe a rubber plug is missing and allowing water to come in to it. If there are any grease fittings on the car you need to have them re-greased again since you ran through high water.

I'm more worried about rust at this point. Do they paint and seal these floor boards?

The floor is painted the same color as the car. As long as you get it dried out, it should not be rusted. If it is, it was not due to your most recent episode.

It will be a job to remove the entire carpet but if you can at least get it up off the floor enough to use a small fan to dry it out, it should be fine. I would clean the carpets with a carpet cleaning machine afterwards.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Marika,

If you drove through that deep, keep an eye on your brakes. Last time I did that, many years ago (I've learned my leeson), the caliper piston froze up and wore down the brake pad & rotor. When I tore it down (6 months later) I found rust in the piston bore.

I talked my mechanic this morning about this, he said not to worry. Bring the car to him in a few weeks and he'll just have a look, just in case.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I've got the car parked outside right now with all the windows open and the trunk wide open. Most of it has actually dried out already so let's see how much farther I can get depending on a sunny day and no humidity.

I have used a product called "damprid" before and it works great. It will remove mositure from just about anywhere and gets rid of the mildew smell. I keep a container of it in my trunk off and on depending on the humidity. The container has two compartments, one filled with pellits and the other holds the water as it absorbs it from the air.

sebring06RTP.jpg

I have used a product called "damprid" before and it works great. It will remove mositure from just about anywhere and gets rid of the mildew smell. I keep a container of it in my trunk off and on depending on the humidity. The container has two compartments, one filled with pellits and the other holds the water as it absorbs it from the air.

I checked out their website, the product looks like it works well. I already ordered the cargo bags from dessicare but next time, I'll go with what you recommended. Thanks for the info!! :)

Marika,

Just from what I know, you need to get that carpet out and get it dry ASAP - and make sure the floor is dry. Any moisture left will cause mold and mildew problems which you won't be able to get rid of. If it were me, especially with asthma, I would do this. In fact, since it has started to smell, I would even consider replacing it.

Fred

Archived