CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Rental car

runar

Hi

I just traded in my 91 deville for a 94. I like the car very much, 80K miles.

The dealer has a" NO" in the rental section of the agreement. I now found out, that Avis was the first owner. What is the difference in price procentage vise, compared to a non rental car. I have not contacted the dealer yet, not really looking for fight, just want to be treated fair. Looking forward to your responses.

The dealer is a well known Cadillac dealer here in BC. Canada.

Regards

Runar

Hi Runar,

Which Dealer did you buy from, just curious? The problem is the dealer is only as good as the info provided to them, if the person trading-in did not declare properly, then the misinformation gets passed along.

I remember Dueck's had an ex-Budget car and they could not get rid of it for months. It was a fine car with no issues and I know so because the owner lived up the block, but they just could not unload it for the longest time.

Hard to say what the price difference should be, it would be entirely up to what would you have paid had you known. My guess is a 10% reduction in value, but speak to the dealer and see what they do first.

Good Luck!

Alfred

Hi Alfred.

Thanks for your reply. It was a cadillac dealer on the Island. I did not see it first, but the 1994 Maintenance booklet was hidden inside the owners manual and it had Avis name and address on it, as first owner with only 25km on the odometer.

Regards

Runar

The '94 Deville Concours that I have, was a rental car before my company bought it at auction.

Trust me - I've "rode it hard and put it up wet" many a time and still no significant problems. Miles when I got it were about 82,000 and now about 169,000.

Perhaps the folks who rent/lease a Caddy are a bit more carefull than those who get a beater for a while and trash it? Not better people mind you - just a bit more appreciative of fine things and more at stake (if damaged).

Now the worst vehicles would be a "company pool car" - where no one is responsible for anything...the trick being to hand it off before trouble hits!

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

My 94 Eldo has a rental/lease history along with two private owners. I believe you would be hard pressed to find a better running 96,000 mile Northstar motor. Knock on wood! I'm sure it is still the luck of the draw. The only downside was that the front four, or five, of the Dallas Cowboys must have driven to church in it on some Sunday once upon a time. Interior needed a little straightening out. The motor is the main item. (in my book) I wouldn't be afraid to buy another rental/lease Caddy.

Kent

Hi

TDK and kcd.

Thanks for your replies. You are probably right about what you are saying. I just feel a little bit cheated, because I decided to go to the local dealer, as I wanted a one owner car, and then find out , that was not the case. I feel he owes me something, after all it is an agreement, and he ticked off the "NO" rental box. I am looking to get some repairs instead.After cleaning the EGR valve and the trottle body the car runs very nice.

Regards

Runar

Like someone said, the dealer can only report information that they know about. It is sometimes hard to track down info on used vehicles. I'm sure it is a good vehicle. Just because it was a rental at one time, doesn't mean that it is a bad car or that it brings in any less money. In fact, alot of people I know prefer buying rental vehicles because they are well taken care of. Granted, there may be the occasional driver who pushed the car to it's limit and sometimes beyond but who says that is bad for the car? The rental agencies are very prompt with maintenance and repairs. When they finally get rid of the cars, they do so in excellent condition other than they usually have lost the remotes, mats, etc. but the vehicle itself is in sound condition.

Max

runar,

perhaps you need to prove it was a rental car. What you found in the glove bos may be not sufficient. Does Carfax work in Canada case? I would run it, and take the results to the stealer. Perhaps they will return something. Do not feel cheated it may happen your rental car is much better deal than some one owner ones.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Archived