CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Heater Core?

Scotty

I have not looked under the carpet yet for dampness but I am smelling coolant through the vents at start up in the morning. Is this the sign of a leaky heater core? I do not appear to be losing any coolant. Can anything else cause this? How hard is it to change the heater core? Thanks

post-3-1094681985.jpg

Check the clamps where the hoses connect to the heater core at the fire wall. If they are loose the coolant will leak into the heater core area and you will think the heater core is bad. Also the smell could be coming from the engine compartment through the air ducts.

Mike,

it sounds like some coolant drops on engine parts. It may be the reson you smell it only when the engine is cold. I woud open the hood and increase RPM to increase the resuure in the cooling system and watch for leaks.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

One time on my eldo, a one of the hoses that carries the coolent had a clamp loose (where it joinened two other hoses in sort of a "T" coupler), and it just so happened that this loose connection was right over some VERY hot engine components. I could smell it it the car pretty strongly. Just a couple turns of the screwdriver to tighten the connection, and presto! no more leak, no more smell.

I had to replace the heater core on my previous caddy once....I took me about 3 hours or so...but I'm no expert. :P

Hope this helps!

-dave B)

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

One time on my eldo, a one of the hoses that carries the coolent had a clamp loose (where it joinened two other hoses in sort of a "T" coupler), and it just so happened that this loose connection was right over some VERY hot engine components. I could smell it it the car pretty strongly. Just a couple turns of the screwdriver to tighten the connection, and presto! no more leak, no more smell.

I had to replace the heater core on my previous caddy once....I took me about 3 hours or so...but I'm no expert. :P

Hope this helps!

-dave B)

A heater core is usually a huge job. I have replaced a few on the older cadillacs (1964 and 1966), it was a backbreaking job.. I will check all my connections for looseness I smelled it again today...

My water pump was weeping enough to smell it. It didn't weep when the engine was running, but some time after I shut it off.

I have the same problem. I am pretty sure mine is the cover gasket and I have a new one sitting on my work bench. It only seems to be about a drop or two. When I shut it down and open the hood I can detect a whif of coolant. It is so small I was sure the coolant tabs would have cured it when I changed coolant last summer but no luck.

Maybe it's time to validate that tool.

Possibly, but I think it is just the cover gasket not the pump seal. As I said, making that socket almost guarantees the pump will last forever. :lol:

... As I said, making that socket almost guarantees the pump will last forever. :lol:

Larry:

When you can spare a few hours, make one of those sockets for me!! Please!

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Archived