CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Digital cluster on 96 DeVille

jndnaps

I've never seen an IPC module so I can't comment on that. I do know about the EBTCM module, which has two parts, the electronic part and the pumps and vales part. They screw together and they have different part numbers. I expect that if any of the four modules did just screw on they would have their own part number. I don't see any separation of functions or parts of the IPM in the FSM.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

• 4 months later...

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The whole top of the dash pad has to come off to gain access. Some screws under the defroster vent..and a hidden screw behind each dash vent. The dash vents have to come out to gain access to the hidden screws.

Should be 2 large plugs on top of the IPC.

Your IPC is kind of rare with the 'PRNDSL' column indicater.

About $300 exchange to walk a IPC into a Delco radio/speedometer repair shop. Most larger (pop 1 million) cities will have a Delco repair shop.

That said, even Delco shops have a hard time figuring out intermitant problems in IPC's. So dont be surprised if the reman IPC has a different intermitant problem.

Logan, is there any way you can post a full size shot of this pic? Maybe email it to me if it can't be posted?? Thanks!

1355177301_Caddy2.thumb.jpg.40dfc05e0861db8b3e74deec4f75cc76.jpg

The whole top of the dash pad has to come off to gain access. Some screws under the defroster vent..and a hidden screw behind each dash vent. The dash vents have to come out to gain access to the hidden screws.

About $300 exchange to walk a IPC into a Delco radio/speedometer repair shop. Most larger (pop 1 million) cities will have a Delco repair shop.

That said, even Delco shops have a hard time figuring out intermitant problems in IPC's. So dont be surprised if the reman IPC has a different intermitant problem.

Logan, is there any way you can post a full size shot of this pic? Maybe email it to me if it can't be posted?? Thanks!

See picture...

post-2-130982248716_thumb.jpg

See picture...

Pic is to small even when I click on it. Anyway to get a bigger/full size pic?

• 1 year later...

could you please specify how you programmed them.

Did they program but not not work?

or did they not program and therefore not work.

I have 2 with the same setup on both

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

could you please specify how you programmed them.

Did they program but not not work?

or did they not program and therefore not work.

I have 2 with the same setup on both

Are you talking about the key fob? If so, now that I can get into the OBC I followed the directions on how to program them. The last step was to hit the warmer button and the number 99 shows up on the dash. I then pushed the trunk button and then the lock button and held it down while still holding down the trunk. The locks never cycled like they do when the fobs are programmed. I tested them and they're good, but they won't program. I have the one I got from you and my original and nothing. I know I'm doing it right, I've done many of these. So there must be another problem now..

Finally got this repaired.. After $350.00 it's working again.. :)

Any details on what was fixed on the cluster?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Finally got this repaired.. After $350.00 it's working again.. :)

Any details on what was fixed on the cluster?

It says on the receipt that they repaired the power supply, inverters and display drivers.

did you try the syncronization procedure? hows the batteries?

Yes, that didn't work either.. Batteries are both good and both fobs work. I tested them at Advanced auto. I couldn't wait to get them working again. I hate using the key..

I completely understand. I love My RKE just hate the range. I am going to find a solution someday I swear. My deville makes and A** out of me when it wont unlock the other 3 doors. always opens mine but doesnt like to open the others. the range is terrible.

I would pull your codes and see if there is any RKE related codes

GM FAN FOREVER

There was a bulletin issues where two pieces of foil tape are added near the RKE receiver that improves the range. The range is terrible on my STS and it has the foil tape but I believe it is on the wrong side. Someone put it on the trunk side of the plastic panel that is between the back seat and the trunk. I think it should be on the RKE receiver side which means taking out the back seat.

The range on my Fleetwood was 50-75 feet when it was new but the range is now only about 25 feet - even with a new battery in the remote.

The range on the Deville is incredible - I can activate it from 150 - 200 feet away from the car.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I completely understand. I love My RKE just hate the range. I am going to find a solution someday I swear. My deville makes and A** out of me when it wont unlock the other 3 doors. always opens mine but doesnt like to open the others. the range is terrible.

I would pull your codes and see if there is any RKE related codes

I checked the codes, nothing on it.. Mine didn't have a long range either, but the chin trick did work for me.. Not by much, but gave me like 5 more feet..

There was a bulletin issues where two pieces of foil tape are added near the RKE receiver that improves the range. The range is terrible on my STS and it has the foil tape but I believe it is on the wrong side. Someone put it on the trunk side of the plastic panel that is between the back seat and the trunk. I think it should be on the RKE receiver side which means taking out the back seat.

The range on my Fleetwood was 50-75 feet when it was new but the range is now only about 25 feet - even with a new battery in the remote.

The range on the Deville is incredible - I can activate it from 150 - 200 feet away from the car.

I can't remember if mine had the tape on the board when I had the seat out a few weeks ago..

I was also looking at this thread below. I did what most of that said and nothing either..

http://caddyinfo.ipb... receiver&st=0

OK, I tried it again and still nothing. Fobs are good with new batts. Tried the synchronization procedure and still nothing. I've programmed these a bunch of times and know how to do it. I'm following directions and it's just not working.. F**K!!! :angry2:

These are the codes that are on the OBC. PC0603 - PC1574 - IP1552 - Don't think the last two have anything to do with it.. Would it bring up a code if the receiver was bad?

PC0603 is the brake light circuit

IP1552 is the Keep Alive Memory to the instrument cluster.

In my opinion either one of those may act to keep the FOB from being programmed... especially the P0603.

Posted Image

In my opinion either one of those may act to keep the FOB from being programmed... especially the P0603.

Thanks for the reply Jim,

Now I just had the cluster fixed. Is it possible that code IP1552 was only from them unplugging it for repair? It's a history code, none current. Forgot to say that, sorry..

Isn't the PC0603- the memory reset?

The PC1574 is the brake light circuit isn't it? I always have problems figuring them out most of the time. Why would the brake light circuit cause the FOB from programming?

Now I just had the cluster fixed. Is it possible that code IP1552 was only from them unplugging it for repair? It's a history code, none current. Forgot to say that, sorry..

The PC1574 is the brake light circuit isn't it? I always have problems figuring them out most of the time. Why would the brake light circuit cause the FOB from programming?

Since your codes are all HISTORY... try clearing the codes and then try reprogramming the FOBS before starting the engine.

The brake light code would be considered as having something to do with SAFETY.

I don't know about your year model... but on the newer cars... anything having to do with safety partly disables the FOB.

The only thing that will work is LOCK / UNLOCK.

REMOTE START and all other function of the FOB are disabled.

Posted Image

Since your codes are all HISTORY... try clearing the codes and then try reprogramming the FOBS before starting the engine.

The brake light code would be considered as having something to do with SAFETY.

I don't know about your year model... but on the newer cars... anything having to do with safety partly disables the FOB.

The only thing that will work is LOCK / UNLOCK.

REMOTE START and all other function of the FOB are disabled.

I just tried that and it didn't work either.. I'm gonna stop by the dealer Monday and re test the FOB's.. I'm willing to bet they're not working and the thing at the parts store is screwed up.. If not then the receivers gotta be bad.. But wouldn't that bring a code??

You said your RKE was functioning at one time correct?

If I remember right when the IPC went out you couldnt program one or both remotes

GM FAN FOREVER

If I remember right when the IPC went out you couldnt program one or both remotes

Yes, it was working fine even when the cluster went out. Then we lost the keys for 6 months and then the RKE didn't work. Tried the synchronization procedure and nothing. Couldn't try and re program them because the cluster was still out. Went to two auto parts stores back when I found the keys and their tester said it was working and so was the one I got from you. I went to them again the other day and only one store had the tester, but not sure how good it works. The green light came on even when I wasn't touching the RKE.. I'm gonna have the dealer test them. If the Receiver wasn't working, wouldn't there be a code in the OBC?

OK, if anyone is still listening, I went to the dealer today and they tested the RKE's.. The original one is still working, the one I got from you (Rockfangd) they said is no good. They both have new batts so I guess the one is junk. Still can't get it to program.. They said they could do it for $60.00 and that they can possible do it through their machine.. I forgot what he called it, but he claims sometimes it doesn't always work through the OBC.. I don't know.. He claims if the receiver was bad, it doesn't necessarily have to bring up a code.. He also said if I got one from the bone yard it'll cost me about $120.00 to program it to the car.. So I guess either way I'm gonna have to let the dealer do this.. Rrrrrrrrr :angry2:

OK, if anyone is still listening, I went to the dealer today and they tested the RKE's.. The original one is still working, the one I got from you (Rockfangd) they said is no good. They both have new batts so I guess the one is junk. Still can't get it to program.. They said they could do it for $60.00 and that they can possible do it through their machine.. I forgot what he called it, but he claims sometimes it doesn't always work through the OBC.. I don't know.. He claims if the receiver was bad, it doesn't necessarily have to bring up a code.. He also said if I got one from the bone yard it'll cost me about $120.00 to program it to the car.. So I guess either way I'm gonna have to let the dealer do this.. Rrrrrrrrr :angry2:

I wouldn't give up just yet. I don't think the receiver needs to be programmed to the car. The receiver learns the frequency of the transmitters. What procedure are you using to program the transmitter?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I wouldn't give up just yet. I don't think the receiver needs to be programmed to the car. The receiver learns the frequency of the transmitters. What procedure are you using to program the transmitter?

I may not be using the right words, but the dealer said if the receiver was bad and I replace the receiver, it has to be set to the car. I'm guessing something to do with security and the vin # and all. To program the RKE I'm using what I saw on here. Way to much to type, but I've done this many times before and never had a problem. I did it on this car when I first got it too. You go through the OBC and do the whole routine and then press the hot button to get the number 99 to show and then press the trunk lock and then lock deal.. I know how to do it, it's just not working.

Here is basically what I've done.. I googled it and cut and pasted it so I don't have to do all that typing..

Synchronizing Transmitters

To synchronize transmitters, perform the following steps:

1. Press and hold the TRUNK button and within one second, press and hold the LOCK button.

2. Continue to hold both buttons for approximately seven seconds and then release.

3. If the transmitter was our of synchronization, it will now function properly.Before starting this procedure, BOTH transmitters must be present. Failure to program the transmitters to the proper numbers will render the RFA system inoperative. If the customer uses only one transmitter on the vehicle, use this transmitter as both transmitter 1 and 2. This is not the normal situation.)

1. Press OFF and Warm on climate control panel simultaneously. The IPS will light all telltales, go blank, and then enter diagnostic mode.

2. Press FAN Down to scroll through system until RFA? Is displayed, then press FAN UP.

3. Press FAN DOWN until RFA OVERRIDE is displayed, then press FAN UP.

4. NO OVRD RF S00 displayed, then press FAN UP.

5. When PGM FOB1 S01 is displayed, press WARM button, 99 will be displayed in left upper corner of IPC just below odometer. System is now ready to program transmitter.

A. Press and hold the TRUNK button on the transmitter.

B. While holding TRUNK button press the LOCK button and hold for one second

C. Hold both buttons for a total of three seconds. Locks cycle when programming is complete.

D. If transmitter is not programmed within 30 seconds after entering 99 override display, system will default and you must start at step 5 to continue.

7. To program transmitter 2, press FAN UP. Display will show PGM FOB2 S02.

8. Follow steps 5 and 6 to program transmitter.

9. Press RECIRC or RESET to EXIT the system.

Ok A few things.

The dealer may not even know if it is vin specific.

MY dealer didnt have a clue that the vin encrypted stereo didnt start till 98. They wanted to charge me 40.00 to program my radio on my 96. Long story.

I dont believe everything I hear from the dealer. To be honest I dont believe much.

I have a RFA module here from a 96 Eldorado that I was going to modify to try to extend the range but I never did it. I can pull it if you might be interested.

Also on the remote. I have sold many remotes and I make sure all work when sold and all have new battery(s) installed. the one I sold you was from my 96 Eldo and it worked great. I would say open the case and havee a look at the white box with the 2 solder joints. Also check the solder joints where the battery installs.

Thanks.

I hope this may help you

GM FAN FOREVER

here are some pictures of the RFA module. It is behind the rear seat. On the passenger side toward the bottom. It has been awhile. It has a single plug with about 5 wires to it. Just out of curiosity could it have come disconnected when you had the seat out? Also there is a bit of grounds at the bottom behind the seat

100_2292.jpg

100_2290.jpg

100_2288.jpg

100_2286.jpg

GM FAN FOREVER

Archived