CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Best way to drain fuel tank?

nitrous1

Last time I did it I used a hand held pump. It was an orange plastic device with two vinyl hoses, suction on one and pump on the other. I think you can find them at Kmart, Walmart or most home centers for $10-$20.

I am a little unclear with emptying a fuel tank. The main reason is to lighten it so that you can easily handle it. However, I have always been told that an empty tank is much more dangerous in terms of explosions than a full tank. What precautions should one take when dealing with a fuel tank since static electricity could cause an explosion... Mister belt and suspenders...

Yes, an empty tank is much more dangerous. I have taken a few out and never drain the tank, I just get another guy to help and have never had a problem. Just make sure you don't forget what you are dealing with, very dangerous stuff and if you are not confortable I would let a shop do it.

Last time I did it I used a hand held pump. It was an orange plastic device with two vinyl hoses, suction on one and pump on the other. I think you can find them at Kmart, Walmart or most home centers for $10-$20.

Bought mine at Sears for about $10, IIRC. Also saw them at KMart for about the same. Work very well.

The last tank I took out I used a floor jack with a flat board to hold the tank in place while I unhooked the straps then lowered it enough to get the hoses and wiring off then lowered it the rest of the way and pulled it out. I then did the same thing in reverse order and it went like clock work. The rear of the car has to be elevated in order to let the tank down with the jack though. Leave some gas in it and it will not be as dangerous.

I did mine the same way PAUL T did. I did run into some problems with the exaust heat sheild and getting the hose off of the fill tank. Also you need to pump the gas from one of the feeder/return ports located on the fuel tank. You need to remove one of the hoses from the bottom and then syphon...directly from the tank ...you might already be aware of this .....I wasnt :(

A.J.

I would drain the tank before removing it. If you don't, the fuel may siphon out of the return line when the pipes are disconnected. Besides, the tank will be very heavy with any more than 1/8 of a tank.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I dropped the tank yesterday afternoon. I ended up removing the vent hose (I believe) next to the filler hose on the back of the tank. I tried (unsuccessfully) to put a siphon hose down thru the gas filler, back the fill hose has too many twists in it. The heat shield between the tank and the exhaust is a major PITA. I got quite a bit of fuel out of the tank, but I'd say that there is still about 5 gallons or so in it . I should get my new pump Tuesday and I'll begin reassembly then.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

nitrous1

One final thougth on draining the tank. Certainly gas vapour in an empty tank is very volatile, but unless the tank is completely full of gasoline (ie no air or vapour) I thought that the risk would not be appreciably greater. My inclination is to remove an empty tank, thereby minimizing the risk of spillage. That is how I've done it in the past. Does this make sense?

One final thougth on draining the tank.  Certainly gas vapour in an empty tank is very volatile, but unless the tank is completely full of gasoline (ie no air or vapour) I thought that the risk would not be appreciably greater.  My inclination is to remove an empty tank, thereby minimizing the risk of spillage.  That is how I've done it in the past.  Does this make sense?

Makes perfect sense to me.

Archived