CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Belt messed up, need help...

mattd

OK this problem relates to my 97 Aurora, I know its slightly diffrent but maybe someone can help.

Last night I let the old girl go full out...after I let off I heard this noise like as if you drove through gravel...I quickly pulled over and realized the belt on the passenger side, I believe its the serpentine or drive belt, had the outer edge split and was going nuts. I cut off the part that was sperated and SLOWLY limped home. I'm not very mechanical myself, aside from doing a simple tune up or brake job. I have no Idea on how to change this darn belt. I don't even know where the tensioner pulley is. My plan so far is to wait it out till monday and slowly drive it my mechanic or am I being an idiot and this is a really simple job. I can get a belt today some goodyear brand from a local parts place... So my question is, is this a really simple job or is it really tricky to install and route the belt on the right way? It seems like there's not a lot of room in there. The second question is do I need a special tool to release the tensioner pulley (once i find it that is).

The belt seems to be holding up so far... It seems to be made out of two parts the stronger being the inner ribbed part and the outside being this soft rubber part. THe part that fell apart was the soft rubber... The ribbed part is still in one peace. Do you guys think this can handle about a half an hours drive to my mechanic tommorow. Please any advice woud be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Matt

Release the belt tensioner (6).

Remove the belt from the power steering (1) and generator (2) pulleys.

Twist the belt for clearance from the tensioner and the front cover. Also twist the belt in order to clear the power steering pulley (1) and engine mount bracket.

Raise the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.

Remove the right side splash shield. Turn the wheel to the extreme right.

Remove the belt from the crankshaft (5) and air conditioning compressor (4) pulleys.

Twist the belt for clearance between the idler pulley and the engine mount bracket.

Remove the belt.

Installation Procedure

Place the belt around the power steering pulley (1). Twist the belt in order to clear the front cover bolts. Let the belt hang from the power steering pulley.

Twist the belt in order to clear the tensioner and front cover.

Wrap the belt around the generator pulley (2).

Remove the belt from the power steering pulley in order to give you slack in the belt.

Raise the vehicle.

Wrap the belt around the crankshaft (5) and compressor (4) pulleys.

Install the right side splash shield.

Lower the vehicle.

Position the belt around the power steering pulley.

Release the tensioner (6).

post-3-1093795853.gif

Thank You very much for your help. I've actually started working on it already and I'm having a major problem putting it back on. I didn't think of taking the wheel off and doing it from the side...darn that makes perfect sense. Once again thanks a million for your help.

Matt

Archived