CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Grease Fittings

Scotty

I have been meaning to ask this question for awhile now, but I want to grease the front end on my 2002 Monte Carlo today. I do not notice any grease fittings on the lower ball joint nor did I notice that there is a facility for installing grease fittings (sometimes the grease fitting is installed later and there is a 'cap' covering the threaded hole). I think that is odd that I can't grease the ball joints, but is it possible that they are permanantly greased? I can't imagine that.. Thanks, Mike

They are internally lubricated and sealed.. Only the rear on my 99 has 2 points to grease. It's like a cv joint.. it's sealed up with the grease in it and never needs lubrication. They have all sorts of internally lubricated bearings and things now that never need lubed and last for a very long time without touching it. not good enough to use inside an engine yet, but maybe one day :>

Well you can say its the super grease. Its really penny pinching.

GM tryed the same thing in the late '80s on the trucks. Saying it was 'forever' grease. Humhum....the zerks came back after alot of ball joints wore out.

Well you can say its the super grease. Its really penny pinching.

GM tryed the same thing in the late '80s on the trucks. Saying it was 'forever' grease. Humhum....the zerks came back after alot of ball joints wore out.

Yea, I remember that. I always removed the plug and installed zerks. In fact, just about a year ago I had to replace a tie rod on my daughters Taurus (snorus as she calls it :lol: ) because it had no zerk and was dry so Ford hasn't learned yet (or they just don't care).

How true. What really bugs me is, how much can a grease fitting cost? Especially when you buy them by the dumpster full. Just add $0.10 to the cost of the car, hell add $0.25 and make a profit.

Heh yea.. I question a lot of the stuff on my STS like why didn't they add this, or do that.. but I guess they have to cut cost somewhere. The thing that bugs me the most is the lack of aftermarket support for the northstar. just that alone i'm sure will drop the sales of used cadillacs with the NS a whole lot.

Thanks guys, I looked again and there are no fittings pretty amazing on a 2002, but then again they are JUST trying to get OUTSIDE the warranty period....

Permanently lubed joints will last longer than the warranty period... :lol: I will admit that I would rather have the lube fittings and the ability to lube them but consider that most of the driving public doesn't bother to lube the fittings on a regular basis so traditional joints will wear out. Then the consumer will blame the OEM for poor quality ball joints.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Thanks guys, I looked again and there are no fittings pretty amazing on a 2002, but then again they are JUST trying to get OUTSIDE the warranty period....

Permanently lubed joints will last longer than the warranty period... :lol: I will admit that I would rather have the lube fittings and the ability to lube them but consider that most of the driving public doesn't bother to lube the fittings on a regular basis so traditional joints will wear out. Then the consumer will blame the OEM for poor quality ball joints.

Glad to hear this, and I also would rather have the lube fittings as I lube them when I change the oil.

Archived