CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

ac clutch won't engage

Dan

For some reason my ac clutch won't engage. It has good coolant pressure, and no codes are set. I thought that maybe the air gap between the compressor and clutch was too big, so I readjusted it, but it still won't engage.

Even with no visible codes, you may have to disconect the battery for bit to reset cetain protection codes (such as for low refrig).

Was there any work done recently to the A/C?

Or did it simply quit withoutwarning (without codes ?)

You mention the A/C pressures are OK (low and high sides) but how could you tell with out the compressor runing? (kind of a catch-22 thing)

Good luck :)

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

I replaced the AC seal about a month ago. The AC just stopped working all of a sudden. I think I am going to run a jumper direct from the battery to the compressor to see if it engages then.

I found what caused the problem, it was a bad fuse. However, when I replaced the fuse it just blew it again. Does the compressor have a short in it?

Was your AC compressor making noise (hub bearing that is). My hub bearing overheated so badly that it shorted the windings in the clutch and blew the AC COMP fuse.

You need to find out why the fuse keeps blowing before you jumper the compressor and really screw something up.

The diode can be tested with an ohm-meter. Unplug the connector from the compressor clutch and remove the fuse. Set the meter to ohms and touch the probes to the wire harness plug. You should have continuity on one direction and infinite resistance when the leads are reversed. If you have low resistance in both directions, the diode needs to be replaced.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

On my 92 Deville I had a short in the wire to the compressor along the bottom front no more tha 6" from the plug. The plastic loom had come off and the wire had shorted out on the frame. A little electrical tape and she was good as new.

I think it's the one that feeds the compressor. Its the fuse in the engine compartment that says AC COMP.

My 1991 manual shows "AC Fuse 1"; I don't have a 1992, but it does sound like the compressor circuit fuse.

In addition to what Kevin suggested, you could try measuring the resistance of both terminals of the compressor connector to ground. The ground terminal (black?) should have almost zero ohms; the other (white?) should be infinite assuming the diode is working and there aren't any shorts to ground between this point and the relay.

Archived