CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1995 Cadillac STS

Jason15036

Hey I am removing my cv joints on my 1995 sts and I was wondering how the cv joints remove from the transmission. Do I need a special tool to undo the boot and when the boot is undone do the cv joints pull out or is it more complicated than this.

Thank You for the help

Yeah, I was wondering about that myself, as I expect to have that job coming up on my '99 next year. According to Barry94, in response to your other post, they just "pop" in and "pop" out. I hope it's that way for my 99 when I get to that point.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Remove the spindle nut and then disconnect the strut from the knuckle (mark the strut to knuckle interface - a line across the front as well as marking the sides) so you don't lose the alignment.

The axle half-shaft will then pull out of the transmission - you can use a slide-hammer with an attachment to fit into the grooves or a pry-bar.

If you replace the whole half-shaft, make sure the boots are the same type as the OEM. Many times, the aftermarket parts have a very soft rubber boot instead of the molded plastic. The soft boots do not have a long life...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

On my '95 etc, i recently replaced both drive axles. I used a rented slide-hammer type puller. One side was a lot harder to access (I think it was the driver side) and was stubborn as well. So much so, that I had to find an alternative, and did. The inner cv joint, where you have to hook onto to make the slide hammer work, also has what I will call 'valleys' , in other words the part of the cv inner joint that is nearest to the transmission is not round, but has undulations (can't think of a better word). After trying for a while to pop it in the normal way, I was able to get the hook from the puller, to wedge in one of those low spots and a slight pry against the tranny popped it. I repeat ... slight!. You do not want to damage the tranny housing.

So, hopefully if will go smoother for you, but work arounds 'r us.

Archived