CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

po56

foxten

96 sts gives intermittant po56 codes (ses light comes on). Trans will crap Hard from Park or Reverse only) A hard acceleration from stop will clear the ses light and car will drive normal again for days or weeks. INPUT SPEED SENSOR?????

You are in for a fairly complicated job to do at home my friend. GM has an updated version of the input speed sensor and its only about $20.00. However, a trans shop will charge you about a $1,000.00 in labor to change it. The hard shifts you feel is the trans going into "protect mode" by boosting the line pressure. This is actually to prevent damage.

The sensor is a magnet that watches the drive chain go by so the computer can compare that to the RPMs, etc.. to monitor for trans slip.

post-3-1093113848.jpg

James

1999 STS 65k

1995 STS 127k

I have had an intermittent p056 for years. It has not affected the performance, except there was a period of about a week when it would shift hard into second if I was driving easy, but it stopped doing that. I will ignore it until something real happens ..

I also have had an intermittent P056 for about 3 years now. My manual says that it can be set off if there is any electromagnetic interference. What that means is that if your sensor wires run along the spark plug wires or if there is any high powered transmitters (like mobile radios) operating in your vicinity it can set it off. That is what I attribute mine to.

Archived