CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

'04 Town Car observations

TDK

Rented a new Lincoln Town Car out of Chicago-O'Hare for a few days back to Iowa (yes Larry G - past Woodstock on I-90 west).

First impression was that the trunk was deep (in two levels) but not very long front to back- makes for difficult luggage room for 4-adults.

The long hood seemed to bounce up and down (due to a lack of bracing) around 80 or so from the wind? The ride itself was fine, with only some busy engine noise where one expects results.

A short WOT brought up only 110 - and this was downhill ! The BRD would have been ashamed of itself. So much for 4.6 litre, 16-valve, 239 hp. The funny part was that after the "spousal speed limiter" kicked in and later reset, she said this thing doesn't get up and go like the Caddy does it? typical... :rolleyes:

Seats were similar to my '94 Concours, but no rear ceiling lighted mirrors etc.

The sound system was difficult to set, such that all four of us could not hear without it being too loud for either the front or back (odd).

Mileage at 82 on the level was about 21, compared with 23-24 in the BRD.

At least it all stayed together this time, (compared to my last rental in a new 300).

My neighbor traded his '02 Deville for a new Town Car and told me that "...its not a Cadillac" in more ways than the name. Actually, he liked my ole '94 instead of his 2000+ body style, for getting into, out of and interior room. :P

It was only $60/day and a Caddy was about $150/day. I don't know if I'd pay the $90 differance for a rental - but the fundemental differances (regarding demand also) seem to be there. ;)

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Interesting observations. Lincolns have had the two-tiered trunks for years. Usually they are very deep compared to Cadillacs. The HP/performance and fuel economy usually is lower than the comparable Cadillac model.

I have not been much of a fan of the '98+ Town Car styling as the taillights look too much like a Crown Vic. or Marquis. For all the extra money a Town Car costs, I'd expect it to not look so similar to a Crown Vic.

Why the price difference between the Town Car and Cadillac at the rental counter? Usually they are the same price.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

You're right about the newer Town Cars. What were they thinking? Someone was holding an ugly contest and Ford had their hearts set on first place apparently. The older models...... now those look sharp.

-kg

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

The new taillights on the 2003+ models look even more like a Crown Vic or Marquis. At least the '98-'02s had the Lincoln emblem on the taillights.

They are still nice cars but they are no Cadillac!

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Bid Red Dog is not really a dog, the the TC is. I have rented them and rode in them and its not even apples and oranges, performance wise its apples and turds.

Comfy for a limo/taxi, not going to challenge your grandmother's sister. Keep your town can in the town, I will drive cross country in my ETC (and did - fairfax va to San Jose in 60 hrs elapsed, 42 hrs driving .... ).

Archived