CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Engine cut out around corners?

bigfoo

I'm kind of getting sick of my STS cutting out if i go around a corner and nail it.. I'm pretty sure it's the traction control but it seems like it almost stalls.. it cuts out for half a second..... it rarely does this because i rarely WOT from a stop into a 90 degree turn but I do occasionally........... There has GOT to be a way to disable traction control and still retain 1st gear :/

Hmm.. I'll have to give that a shot. I can try the filter first as that's easier.. how in the world did you find that with the fuel pump, you take it out?

bigfoo:

It finally got so bad it had to be towed. Tech found low fuel pump output and pulled it. Trouble was the problem came and went (as crud moved about in the tank, I guess). Dealer would drive test it and it would be fine.

Right turns and cloverloeafs shifted gas in the tank away from the pump, and the bottom portion of the filter sock was plugged.

Try all the easy Parts first as the fuel pump is in the tank and not cheap also if its like my 98 the mufflers and pipes have to be dropped to get the tank out. <_<

Bigfoo,

did you ever figure out what was causing this? Mine just did the EXACT same thing to me today. I had a sandwhich in one hand, was jamming out to some Dave, and was turning tright off an exit ramp which is essentially a 360 degree circle. Well, the car stalled and the steering got real tight (power steering pump of). I musceled it around the curve then popped in Nuetral and started it back up. Only codes were, near stall and low battery voltage.

James

1999 STS 65k

1995 STS 127k

Dont' have any $ in the bank yet to try replacing parts :) It only happens to me when I punch the gas while going around a corner real tight so it's not a top priority right now but I'll get to it eventually

• 6 months later...

Bigfoo,

Well, I ended up taking mine to the dealer for the cut-out around corners problem. It was the EGR valve. They changed it and I haven't had that problem since. You could probably clean it yourself for next to nothing, but your time of course. They said that deposits on the EGR shaft were causing the engine cut-outs. Good luck.

James

1999 STS 65k

1995 STS 127k

This is an odd one, I would not think that the EGR could cause this type of problem, Mike

Early on sailors navigated by the stars at night and the North star became the symbol for finding ones way home. Once you know where the Northstar is you can point your ship in the right direction to get home. So the star became a symbol for finding ones way home or more symbolically even finding ones path in life.

Mike,

I definitely didn't either. from what I've read, I thought the EGR valve could, at most, cause "stumbles" in the idle. When the car starts randomly dying (not always while going around a corner, sometimes just after "punching" it), that's when I take it to the dealer and let them figure it out.

I will say this, after they changed it, I have never seen that problem again (just other crappy problems!). :o

Bigfoo, that may not be your problem, but its what fixed mine so I thought I would pass the info along. Take it for what its worth, I guess.

James

1999 STS 65k

1995 STS 127k

Mike,

I definitely didn't either.  from what I've read, I thought the EGR valve could, at most, cause "stumbles" in the idle.  When the car starts randomly dying (not always while going around a corner, sometimes just after "punching" it), that's when I take it to the dealer and let them figure it out. 

I will say this, after they changed it, I have never seen that problem again (just other crappy problems!).  :o

Bigfoo, that may not be your problem, but its what fixed mine so I thought I would pass the info along.  Take it for what its worth, I guess.

OH! Your prior message implied that you were dying around corners and the EGR fixed it....It was hesitating other times also....OK.... That makes sense...

I get the feeling that bigfoo ONLY gets cutting out around corners, which makes me think its fuel related..

Early on sailors navigated by the stars at night and the North star became the symbol for finding ones way home. Once you know where the Northstar is you can point your ship in the right direction to get home. So the star became a symbol for finding ones way home or more symbolically even finding ones path in life.

I'm kind of getting sick of my STS cutting out if i go around a corner and nail it.. I'm pretty sure it's the traction control but it seems like it almost stalls.. it cuts out for half a second..... it rarely does this because i rarely WOT from a stop into a 90 degree turn but I do occasionally........... There has GOT to be a way to disable traction control and still retain 1st gear :/

I've experienced what bigfoo described many times. For me it's definitely the TC kicking in. Got that outer tire spinning a bit faster. I can duplicate the "symptoms" easily when making U turns and hitting the gas when I'm not quite all the way through the turn. It feels like the fuel is being cut off but if i look down at the DIC.... oh goodie "Traction Control Engaged". I wonder if bigfoo has tried dissabling TC through the DIC diagnostics? Works for me.

Now here is the issue that confuses me. It seems that a lot of caddys lose manual 1st gear when TC is dissabled either through the DIC or by pulling the fuse. I don't seem to lose my first. Time and time again I am able to manually shift into 1st gear. Is this odd?

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Archived