CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1995 Cadillac Transmission

Jason15036

Hey I recently purchased a new transmission for 1995 STS. I was wondering if it is possiable to pull the transmission without pulling the motor to. I was just wanting to save some money if it was possiable. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and it doesnt look to complicated by looking at the new transmissoin. My big question is if you do not have to pull the motor how do you remove the tranny with the very tight fit it is in.

Any help would be appreciated, Jason

Well, since you have to remove the tranny 1st to get the engine out.. yes you can take it out without taking out the engine....... no it's not really easy, but you can do it.. it takes a lot of time to unbolt everything in the way. there is sooooooooooooooooo much stuff in the way because it's front wheel drive. you gotta take the ball joints off, exhaust, heat shields, lines, it's a big headache probably take 20 hours of work. But if you have the time you will learn a lot about the car :>

Aside from a jack below the engine to hold it up after you remove the subframe....you will need an A-Frame type engine hoist to keep the engine in place, after the subframe is removed. This fits on top of the engine compartment and it is very necessary. Whoever is doing this job has to be very patient and methodical. The job is a 20 hour job if one person is doing it.

Archived