CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1986 Seville Starting Problems

triberat71

I had posted my starting problem earlier. When the car got too hot, we would need to wait for an hour or more for the car to cool off so it could start.

This past weekend we replaced the starter selenoid and the ignition module.

Now the car is worse than ever! It needs to sit overnight in order for it to start.

We tried to jump the car and that did not help. When it feels like starting it drives great.

My onboard diagnostics gave me a few error codes:

E048 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation Problem

B120 - Twilight Sentinel Delay Pot Circuit Problem

B127 - PRNDL321 Sensor Circuit Problem (Park Brake Release)

I'm not sure if any of these are related to my problem or not.

Does anyone have any advice?

HELP :(

The only code which could REMOTELY be related to the starting problem is 048. But I believe it is not the problem. Did you check your Fuel Pressure Regulator for leaks. Just take out the small vacuum hose and watch the nippel - it should be dry.

Another possibility is the bad cables/connections which feed the starter.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

My Deville was doing the same thing, although I wouldn't have to wait an hour, so I replaced the starter, and no problems since. I would first be sure to check all your cables as adallak suggested, especially your ground cables. Good luck!

Don't over look the B127. The PRNDL switch can cause a no start. Remember, the car will not start in gear. The PRNDL switch tells the PCM what gear the car is in. It may just need a simple adjustment but you'll need a srevice manual for the proceedure. Try moveing the shift selector while holding the key in the start position.

Don't over look the B127. The PRNDL switch can cause a no start. Remember, the car will not start in gear. The PRNDL switch tells the PCM what gear the car is in. It may just need a simple adjustment but you'll need a srevice manual for the proceedure. Try moveing the shift selector while holding the key in the start position.

LG is right. Have you noticed a correlation between applying the parking brake and the difficulty starting the car? Replaceing the starter might address your old starting problem but you may get another now.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Archived