CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Battery Was Dead

Jeff Wilson

I washed the Caddy this evening while I was drying it off I had the door open and was listening to music when I went to start her she was dead. This has happened only once before when the windshield was changed both front doors were open the same thing happened again she was dead when I went to start her up. Does the interior lights drain that much power from the battery? I thought the 98 STS has some sort of system built into it to prevent battery drain. Otherwise had the car since April 04 no other problems to date to report as I have all the service records for the past 4yrs she was well taken care of.

Depends on how you had your stereo going for. The speakers can draw a lot of power because most of them have their own amp. Also depends on how long you had your doors open for. After roughly 10 for 15 minutes, I'm sure the lights should shut off. Best thing is to go down to Canadian Tire and have them test your battery for you. Should be free but ask and they might even be able to do it on the car.

I just moved back to Regina from Prince Albert. I was going to SIAST up there and already miss it :( . IMO P.A. is a lot nicer place to live, work, and play! I'm so jealous :rolleyes: !

Spence

If you were listening to your stereo real loud for some 30 minutes it might drain the battery (particularly 6-years-old one). The battery still may be good to use, but you may expect it to fail some time soon.

The same thing happened to me when I just bought my Seville (listened radio for some 25 minutes four years ago). It had original Delco battery. Did not have problem for a few more months, then it moved south rapidly. DieHard has been working fine since.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Just replaced the battery in my 98 STS had the same problem just rember nobody is going to have that Batt except cadi. It's a group 79 vented batt under back seat.

The battery should definately not drain to that point. I've left my door open and the radio going for over an hour and the car starts fine. You either have a bad battery or dirty cables. About a year ago, I had starting problems so I figured it was time to replace the battery. When I removed the seat, there was battery corrosion everywhere. Since the battery was sitting on the floorpan, I was concerned that the corrosion may eat through the body. I spent a lot of time trying to clean the acid. I then replaced the positive cable (it was easy; it was right there) and replaced the battery and it has been perfect ever since.

Max

About 6 months ago, my '97 STS would not start (dead battery). When the Roadside Assistance driver got there he jumped the battery and the car started and I was able to get to a local Cadillac dealer and they replaced the battery under warranty. At the time, the RA driver said he thought the problem was the alternator.

Three months later the battery was dead and the alternator was replaced. Last month I had the car detailed, doors open for a while, and the battery was dead again. Jumped it, took it to dealer and replaced the battery.

About a week later, I'm driving along and the DIC indicated battery not charging. To make a long story shorter the car died as I was pulling into a rest area. The car was loaded on a flatbed and hauled back to dealer where they replaced the alternator under the GM warranty. Since then everything has been ok, but the dealer told me they would perform some sort of test that would check to see if any accessory in the car was pulling power after the engine was turned off.

As of now the problem seems resolved, but when I check the volts on the DIC it always reads about 13.1 or lower. My wife's car (also a '97 STS) always reads about 14.2 or higher. So I'm not sure I've reached the end of this story on my car.

Tom

Yep under back seat as it was explained to me the heat under the hood was causing alot of batt problems so they moved it under the back seat. Being vented I have never heard of one blowing up. :blink:

Archived