CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Is California EPA Crazy

jgr7

I changed the oil on the Eldo and my sons car today and tried to take the oil to Auto Zone for recycling in gallon jugs, one was windshield washer jug and one was Castrol 5 qt oil jug that uses as advertising on the jug that you can take it to the recycling center in this handy jug. The Auto Zone guy tells me that they can't take oil unless it is an EPA approved container, which he showed me is the container that I drain my oil into from the car. The one with the big hole on top and the spout on the side for pouring. I really felt like taking the oil and pouring it along side the road after this stupid new law. So I will take it to work and use the recycling tank there.

Jeff

I think the old addage is true. "Once, a log time ago the earth tilted, and everything that was loose rolled to California"

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

;) A few years ago in West Virginia we used the old motor oil to keep the dust down on the gravel roads in front of our homes. It worked real well. Senator Robert Byrd though got enough pork out of the barrel to tar and chip most back roads, but it will not be long before we will be doing it again because they are patching the tar and chip with gravel. The cycle goes on. :P

What a crock of BS. I've taken my used oil to AZ or AA in the container of my choice, marked "Used Oil". The next step, is to walk with the guy to the back room and pour the used oil into a big holding tank. Maybe the place you went to didn't have a holding tank. At any rate, if you deliver the used oil in the original container (quarts or big jug) they shouldn't have a beef. If you think they might not like your containers drop it off BEFORE the place opens, just make sure to mark it "Used Oil"...

rek

drop it off BEFORE the place opens, just make sure to mark it "Used Oil"...

That's exactly what I'd do... :lol:

One of the independent auto repair shops in my area gladly takes used motor oil - he has a waste-oil furnace and uses the oil to heat his shop in the winter.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

They do have a tank and the sign in the window said empty. It was my container that the guy said the California EPA will not let them recieve oil in any more. The guy told me that it just started 2 months ago. He gave me some story about someone throwing away the gallon jug in a garbage can outside of a store after dumping the oil in the tank and the can caught fire. He also said that the fine if caught is in the $ thousands and he would loose his job, this is not a kid this guy is in his 50's. This is sooooo California that I believe him. I might try Kragen next time just to see.

Jeff

How did the can catch fire?? from the residual oil left in the container??? What a BS story...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived