CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

oops... darn

phillydude

Last night, I accidentally crossed my front bumper with a pillar in a parking garage. No damage to the car, except for a nice new accent color stripe of highway yellow across the corner of my bumper.

Any ideas on the best way to remove it? I was thinking a soft "scrubbie" like you would use on the dishes... being very careful to just scrub down far enough to remove the yellow without damaging the car's paint. Would that work? Or should I be thinking of some kind of solvent? Lighter fluid? Or some combination of both?

Input and advice appreciated as always.

I would try a fine course rubbing compound first (3M etc) skip the the other stuff, you might do more damage to the paint......................

You could try a solvent. The Base/clear on the bumper is quite resistant to most solvents, however "postpaint" is likely just an enamal and would dissolve before the base/clear.

Try some paint thinner on a part of the base/clear (under the bumper where it wont show) to see that it wont harm it, then try to dissolve the yellow.

If you use any kind of "mechanical" method to remove the paint you will damage the clear coat.

Sometimes gasoline will dissolve some of these enamals.

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

goo gone.. wd-40, mineral spirits... just clean it off after you are done with soap and water.. if there's a lot of scratches you will need a rubbing compound or sand it

That mr. clean eraser thing kicks *smurf* .. however it can take off the dye from vinyl and leather and all sorts of stuff, it's like hitting it with sandpaper so be careful with it.. I accidentatly took some color out of my trim on the inside with that thing

did the exact same thing in my old caddy <_>

except with a red painted post...i was able to just use my sponge that has the rougher stuff on one side, got the car good n' wet and it came right off! ;)

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

What I heard works good is some nail polish remover. Pretty similar to solvent or alcohol ;) . Lots of other really good ideas too.

Spence

DO NOT USE NAIL POLISH REMOVER!!! Nail polish remover is acetone and will eat the paint down to the substrate!!!

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

You might also try Bug & Tar remover. My wife once got into a scrape with another car and there looked like there was some minor damage. The other driver's insurance company paid us over $700. I went out with some Bug & Tar and all of the paint transfer came off and there was no body damage!

Archived