CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Hub Bearing?

Scotty

My wife has a 2002 Chevy Monte Carlo. There is what I would call a rolling noise up front. I initially thought it was a bad tire causing the noise. Lately its getting louder. I don't drive it much at all only short hops every few weeks so its easy to see/hear changes in the way it rides. I noticed that the 'rolling noise' changes pitch when I turn side to side on a straightaway (sort of like Nascar cars do when they are warming up their tires). WHen I turn one way the noise goes almost away and when I turn the other it gets noticibly louder. The car has 32,000 miles on it. Is it possible that the hub bearing could be bad so soon? Thanks for your experience and opinions, Mike

Mike,

Absolutely, it could be bad even with 30,000+ miles on it. I read or heard somewhere recently that some Chevys were in fact having this problem.

Actually, I think I heard it over at the bodyshop, now that I think of it.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I have 60,000 on my '98 STS and had the hub bearing go on the right front wheel. Mine made a whirring noice that would change pitch depending on speed. When I drove over bumps in the road, the car would dip down and it would get louder. When it came back up before leveling out it would go away for a split second before coming back. It cost me around $530 to replace it but I have the bearing with the ABS and Speed Sensers in them. The bearings in your Chevy should be alot less considering they are not nearly as complicated or expensive. Hope you find the problem. :)

Scotty,

I'm not that informed about hub bearing problems but a good test is to jack the car up, hold the top and bottom of the tire and push/pull it in and out. If the tire has to much play, then the hub has a problem. My left front wheel has this problem and has a little bit of play but I just drive it like that.

Scotty,

I'm not that informed about hub bearing problems but a good test is to jack the car up, hold the top and bottom of the tire and push/pull it in and out. If the tire has to much play, then the hub has a problem. My left front wheel has this problem and has a little bit of play but I just drive it like that.

If you have noticable play in the wheel, look at the tie rod end or ball joint. If a hub bearing was worn to the point that it allowed play in the wheel, it woulod be making a lot of noise.... ;)

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

When I drove over bumps in the road, the car would dip down and it would get louder. When it came back up before leveling out it would go away for a split second before coming back.

I've got that exact same problem on another vehicle (Nissan truck). As the front would oscillate over a big bump, the "howl" would come and go as weight was loaded and then unloaded from the front wheel bearings. "WHOOoooo....WHOOoooo....WHOOoooo" I suspected a wheel bearing, and from what you just described as a failure mode on your Cadillac, I'm convinced that's what it is. 186,000 miles on the truck...who knows if they're original. :)

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived