CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Does anyone want a free CARFAX?

epricedright

If anyone on the board needs a FREE CARFAX with a safety/reliability report, I'd be glad to get you one (but only for the next 2 weeks). Two weeks ago I paid $24.95 for unlimited Carfaxes for 30 days. These give you a detailed vehicle history report with lots of other useful info. If interested, send me a PM with the VIN, and I'll get you one asap.

Just to clear things up regarding a direct link to your report with your VIN: When I go to carfax.com, I type in my email address and password and then within that same page (or program), I get a page that allows me to type in the VIN...with still same URL...carfax.com Then I hit go and within that same page (URL:carfax.com) I get the Carfax report...same URL! Nothing comes after that URL...just carfax.com So there's no way to give you a direct link. Using both MSN & IE, still the same thing. Here's the only URL I see pulling a report: http://www.carfax.com

There are no buttons to forward the report or to copy & paste a direct link...I looked. The only button I see is "print report" & "run another report". In addition to the the report, I'll give you a URL for the Safety Report which was a clickable link within the carfax report that directed me to that page.

Somehow they've made this program to do this; to prevent what I'm doing I guess. No where does it say that I can't get reports for my friends though; but they're making it a pain the ars to do so. I've never seen anything like this before.

So for me to get you a report, I have to pull the report, copy and paste it into MS word, copy and paste the link to the safety report, and then email it to you as an attachment. You may have to have MS Word to read it I imagine.

I knew I would be questioned about this a hundred times, hence why I'm making this post. Also so you wouldn't think I was a moron! :)

CARFAX is using one "tight" program.

Eheh.. I've seen dealers and people post carfax URLs for their vehicles that you can click on and it just brings it up.. I'm not sure how they do it because I haven't used carfax before but somehow it lets them give out a url to view that particular vehicle, for example

http://www.carfax.com/cfm/ccc_DisplayHisto...4GP64L9XB564228

it shows the report.. but i don't know how they got it to do that :/

You're maybe referring to either a dealer who subscribes to Carfax full time, or maybe an individual who paid the $19.95 for just ONE Carfax, that entitles them to a URL...I'm not sure. All I know is I get no URLs for specific VINs I pull.

OK, I figured it out :) At the sign in screen, I have the option of changing my "saved online report" to another VIN. Never looked at that page closely to see that. So now I can provide the URL...much easier! :D

Kicker...I only get one URL for my account no matter what VIN is saved in it. In other words, everyone one will have the same URL, but it just depends on which VIN is saved in that URL at the time. So you will need to copy & paste your report if you want it saved as when I run another report for another vehicle, the one previously saved will be gone and replaced with the new VIN. So please let me know once you've copied your report so I may run another.

Quote from CARFAX:

You can change the CARFAX Vehicle History Report saved behind the link provided by CARFAX. The expiration date and the web address for your link will remain the same.

To change the CARFAX Vehicle History Report saved online, log into your account from www.carfax.com and click on the "Change Saved Report" link. The link stays the same, even if the saved Report changes.

Archived