CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Changed P.S. Fluid/Filter... But more problems!

STS Scott

This Power Steering thing has really got me stumped now!

Yesterday, I did the changing of the fluid proceedure, as well as replaced the filter, in the process.

I then bled the air out, by turning the wheel lock to lock many times, and then ensured that the fluid was at the correct level to finish it all off.

I was hoping for a nice quiet engine hum as I turned out of the drive way for the first time, but what I got was the "WWAAAAaaaaaaa" power steering sound. To add to my frustration, when making turns (at low speeds, like in the neighbourhood) a horrifying shudder is emmitted, and the wheel becomes difficult to turn.

Is this caused by the belt slipping? Why is it doing this, now that I changed the fluid!?

Please help!

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

Yes, I believe you may be right!

I usually get all my service done the same time I get my oil changed...but with 80% of it's "life" left, I don't think I can wait that long!

Lets see what others have to say...

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

Have you thought about the steering rack also? I changed a pump on another car I used to have twice before I figured out it was the rack and pinion steering that was bad. Not a pleasant thought but something to think about.

Jeff

I had a noisey pump and changed it only to have it still making noise, so I took it back and changed it again and it still made noise. So I went back to where I bought the pump this time with the car. With the engine running I turned the car lock to lock a bunch of times and the guy at parts store listened while I was doing this, he saw a fine spray comming out of the rack and it was shuddering while it was working. I guess it was putting alot of load on the pump. Any ways I changed the rack and it was quiet. I'm not sure this is what is wrong with STS Scotts but it might be worth checking.

Jeff

All you need is a p/s pressure checker.. just put it in line with the pump and you can see if something needs to be replaced just by the amount of pressure

Could be, gotta pressure check it. Could just replace it.. i mean the pump is what.. $50 ? It's 10 years old anyway.. All power steering makes some noise.. If you can hear it seanding 5 feet away from the car and it's annoying then something is wrong

Archived