CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

"If it aint broke, don't fix it!"

epricedright

I'm startin to think my father was right "If it aint broke, don't fix it"!

Hope my new ride doesn't turn into a money pit, got it for a good price...originally! :(

So far:

1. New starter...cost me 63.00

2. Leaking oil filter adapter seals...that was scary at 1st, took me forever to find

that leak...fixed that myself...cost 10.00

3. Cleaned throttle body...myself, then...

4. I got this idle problem...gonna try the idle learn...if not that, I will replace the ISC

5. Slight shimmy at 57 mph...going to rebalance and possibly replace front tires,

2 new rears 2 weeks ago...200.00 Thought the 2 new rear tires & balance would help the shimmy...not

6. Rear brakes...feels like I need to resurface the rotors

7. Power steering whining...I will replace the pump myself asap...bled the PS today...and now...

8. Power steering is feeling a little funny...tighter at times

8. And now this new clunking noise turning right :angry:

9. What next? :unsure:

I've only had this car for 12 days now and for some strange reason, I still love it! What's wrong with me? :blink: I hope this doesn't turn into a Love/Hate relationship :rolleyes: I'm not a whiner, and my repair costs have been minimal, but geeze!

Has this happened to anyone else?

aCadillac1994SedanDeVILLEpurchased8-01-0

This kind of stuff happens to ALL used cars.. has nothing to do with wether or not it's a caddy.. Every used car I have bought I've had to replace a lot of little things if the person before me didn't keep good care of it. Yours looks really nice like at least someone took care of the outside. It's 10 years old, and has about the right mileage that little things start happening.. don't worry about it, just fix it and then you don't have to worry again for a long time

Hope my new ride doesn't turn into a money pit, got it for a good price...originally! :(

That's it, right there. The car possibly wasn't maintained very well and the previous owner wanted to unload it before he or she had to repair a lot of things. Before I did anything else, I would change the coolant. That car does not have DEX-COOL, and your cooling system is prone to corrosion if the coolant isn't changed every few years (something that few people do). Get that done now to prevent cooling system damage.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

:huh: Buying a used car is always a gamble. You win some and you lose some. Right now your senses are heightened on every little thing you hear. Drive it a while and you will get used to them. ;)

I wouldn't consider those repairs as a sign of a money pit. With any used car, you need to go over it to get everything up to par. As Jason said, drain & refill the coolant asap.

It looks like a really nice car and you said you got a great buy on it so I think you're still ahead.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

You have a beautiful looking car and its in very good condition. Once you get the annoying problems fixed you will be happy. Remember no matter what the actual mileage is your car is an 11 year old car and things will go and need to be replaced due to its age. Stick with us on this board and we will help you through the problems. The good thing is that you are doing a lot of the work yourself and getting to know the car. With regard to the ISC motor that I sent to Adallak, supposedly it was for a 91 4.9 you have a 94 4.9. I would ask Adallak to read the part number off the ISC motor and see what application its for. It may just pay to buy a new one that is calibrated for your year car if you can't verify the application for the ISC I sent. If you are in need of parts check out www.gmotors.com they will reply to you with a quote and their prices are always good. Good Luck, have some patience, its a beauty... Mike

I would ask Adallak to read the part number off the ISC motor and see what application its for

Mike, a paper strip included with the part says "item# 1875414987 (Chevy Cadillac GM Idle Speed Control Motor). There is a number on the motor as well: 1668011.

I do not know if this helps.

epricedright,

You have got a beautiful car! Do not be frustrated and do not overreact. Most of Cadillac owners cannot take good care of the car and minor problems scrae them to death. That's the reason they sell their Cadillacs at a fraction of original price. It works for guys like us. I am sure you are one of us. So fix it and you'll enjoy it!

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Thank you all for the encouraging words and thoughts. I really do love the car, and my wife has been telling me the same thing..."stop looking for every little problem and noise, it's a used car" And I know this, I guess I was expecting it drive and run as good as it looks since it's a "cadillac". I checked it out thoroughly, I thought, before i bought it, and these problems it seems are appearing all of the sudden. :o I purchased it from the grandson of a fellow who passed away, who had it for a few months. So I figured it's a Grandpa car that was babied, but maybe he didn't maintain it as well as I would have. Unfortunately, there were no service records as the grandson cleaned it out and only left the owners manual. I ran a Carfax on it and it came back as a clean 1 owner.

I forgot to mention, that was the 1st thing I did on day 2 was change the oil, flushed the coolant w/ the green coolant, changed the thermostat and put the coolant tabs in. :D

My intentions are to not get discouraged, since it drives and floats like a dream. But if I have to fix one more thing in the next 5 years, I'm blowing it up! :lol:

Just kiddin :D

"But if I have to fix one more thing in the next 5 years, I'm blowing it up!"

You better sell it NOW then! :lol::lol: By the way how much did you buy it for, if you don't mind.. Mike

Nice :) Even if you take care of your car and change all the fluids and stuff when you are supposed to, you will STILL have to replace things. It just happens. Little sensors and things like isc and p/s pump and other stuff like that is no big deal at all.. just be glad the engine and transmission work and other more 'expensive' things.. Every time you buy a used car be prepared to spend $1000-1500 on fixing it up to bring it up to your expectations. The biggest thing that bugs the hell out of me is bushings. I want to get a set of poly or graphite impregnated poly bushings for all my cars just so they don't wear out so fast.. i can't stand suspension wobble or noises :/

$3000 cash on the barrel head ;)

That is a steal! :D If I found a deal like that, I'd get rid of my old Park Avenue that I drive during the winter.

I looked at a '91 Sedan DeVille about four months ago - it looked good from the outside but upon close inspection, the leather seats were all cracked, armrests and dash were cracked, etc. In other words, it was a beater....

The ABS light was on which means a huge expense for the '89-'93 cars and it had 118,000 miles on it. The owner wanted $3500! It was hard to keep from laughing... The car is still for sale....no surprise there.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Mike, a paper strip included with the part says "item# 1875414987 (Chevy Cadillac GM Idle Speed Control Motor). There is a number on the motor as well: 1668011.

Mike & Adallak I'm having trouble cross referrencing those numbers you listed for the ISC that goes on the '94 Deville. Can you tell if that one will work? Thanks!!

Mike & Adallak I'm having trouble cross referrencing those numbers you listed for the ISC that goes on the '94 Deville. Can you tell if that one will work? Thanks!!

The number that says item # is an EBAY number, the other number on the ISC itself is the one you need to track down. If not, I would just get one at www.gmotors.com Mike

There is a number on the motor as well: 1668011

Can't find that number at gmpartsdirect.com or rockauto.com

gmotors.com never responded today to my earlier reguest for pricing and weren't answering the phone.

Google didn't help w/ that part # either.

Any ideas fellas how to find out if that part was meant for a '94 Deville?

There is a number on the motor as well: 1668011

Can't find that number at gmpartsdirect.com or rockauto.com

gmotors.com never responded today to my earlier reguest for pricing and weren't answering the phone.

Google didn't help w/ that part # either.

Any ideas fellas how to find out if that part was meant for a '94 Deville?

Gmotors is located in Brasington, Florida, and the hurricane went right through there, I am sure they were closed. I ALWAYS get a QUOTE from them the SAME DAY! They are the best... I don't know how else to help you, maybe just try it, not much to lose... Mike

• 3 weeks later...

epricedright,

I would put it in and try, it cannot hurt anything. Just follow the manual for the procedure, but be patient. As I told before I never could get exact numbers the manual suggested for RPM and TPS angle. I just stoped at some point and lived with what I got. My engine starts idleing at 800-900 in the summer and more than 1300 in the winter then slowly moves downd as the coolant temp increases. At operating temperature the idle is 575-600 RPM. Good luck and let us know how's it going.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Archived