CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

clicking noise when steering right - 99 seville

Hi!

My Seville makes a clicking noise when I turn right, especially when I accelerate while I make a turn to the right.

Control Arm is new!

Could it be the outer tie rod end? If it can be caused by that I'll replace the old one with the Ac Delco # 45A0798.

Or could it be the socket-style sway bar link? I think I'll change it anyway, but I'm not sure if i should take the Moog # K8989 or the Ac Delco # 45G0015.. I think the Moog part is better?!

Two mechanicians looked at my car and both don't know for sure by what the clicking noise is caused. One was pretty sure it could be the outer tie rod end.

What do you think?

Chris

I believe a CV shaft/joint can cause clicking when turning.

big4870885.jpg

CV shaft/joint is this part? 661327-01.jpg

I was told a bad cv shaft would make the noise everytime I steer... but my clicking noise doesn't appear when I steer while the car isn't moving.

Is it easy to change the cv shaft? And do I need other parts as well?

CV shaft/joint is this part? 661327-01.jpg

I was told a bad cv shaft would make the noise everytime I steer... but my clicking noise doesn't appear when I steer while the car isn't moving.

Is it easy to change the cv shaft? And do I need other parts as well?

That's the right part. I'm not sure how easy or hard of a job it is on your car. I've only done one on a Nissan in the past, and I can say that one was fairly easy. A Nissan isn't a Caddy though.

As for the clicking only happening when the car is moving, the CV shaft only rotates when the car is moving which puts more strain on it when you turn. It may be just starting to go south. If it IS the CV joint then the clicking will progressively get worse and possibly become noticeable even when the car isn't moving and you turn the wheel (as per my experience anyhow).

You could try pulling down the rubber boot and inspecting the CV joint for any signs of excessive wear or lack of grease (it should be quite greasy). Be sure you put the boot back before driving it though as it protects the joint from dirt and debris.

big4870885.jpg

the rubber boots are in good condition, no grease leaking!

but i sometimes notice a strange sound when i push the pedal to the ground... can't explain it, but maybe it's also coming from the cv joint? i can only hear it when i accelerate fast while driving slow... when i push the pedal at highway speeds (60mph and make a kickdown) there are no strange noises!

maybe the sound could be compared with a leaking exhaust (but it isn't the exhaust!) and while accelearting the sound appears for about 1 second, after that everything seems to be normal again (don't happen every time i make a kickdown!)

if the clicking and this sound could be caused by the cv joint, i will order a new one at rockauto (50$+100$shipping)... will i have to drain the trans. fluid and buy 13? litres of new fluid? and do i need gaskets or something or is everything included when i buy the cv joint from cardone select?

• 2 weeks later...

I've watched it for a week now, the noise only appears at bad weather. I think it only makes the clicking noise if something on my car gets wet.

Now the sun was shining for some days and there are no strange noises to hear... I don't know where to search :( Can't replace everything just because it could be the problem...

Archived