CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Blog Post: Cadillac Selecting Luxury AND Performance, Platinum Series and V Series

One of my elevator speeches I took the liberty of arguing sharing with Cadillac’s Nick Twork when we met was Luxury vs Performance.Cadillac in the mid-90s came out with an SLS variant of the Seville, and a STS variant.   The SLS was for Seville Luxury Sedan, and the STS for Seville Touring Sedan.   The idea [...]

View the full Blog Post

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Thanks for your thoughtful editorial. It seems to me that we are in agreement, that adding more features and content to Cadillacs, is a "good thing." It is discouraging to see the "stripped" models, minus things like fog lamps or certain equipment, wearing the Cadillac label. However, you seem to want the best of both worlds. My concern is that there would be a compromised end product--somewhat akin to offering only the FE-2 suspension on the CTS. As it stands, when I bought my CTS in 2008, if a buyer wanted a particular suspension, he had three choices. For me, two would have been adequate--the Performance FE-3 and the FE-2 (which included the larger sized wheels.) The "base" CTS model is what harms the brand's image, since it has a less desirable power-plant (not even improving gas mileage) and smaller wheels and less sporting suspension. I find that the offering the previous choices of STS & SLS was fine, and would correspond to a "Platinum Edition" and a "V-Series" edition today. Perhaps a "base" model could then be slotted somewhat higher than the present version, similar to a 2008 CTS Premium Package (FE-2 suspension and nice chrome 18" wheels) and of course, it would include more equipment. Offering a version such as a "Platinum" edition, in my opinion, gives Cadillac an opportunity for easy profits, since it would consist largely of cosmetic upgrades and specific options as "included," and maybe even special color selections. GM could sure use the money! Cadillac buyers traditionally like "bling," or flashy packages, and at a minimal development cost, the Platinum Edition CTS could be quite profitable.

Platinum Edition to me is offering a package on top of current models that has MORE. The TAHAMA leather is a perfect example for something that costs more to include/use but can be part of a more expensive Platinum package. The standard Cadillac can have great leather seats, just not premium leather like Tahama. Then that feature is available in the Platinum Edition. Combine 5 or 6 amazing features and you have a complete Platinum Edition.

+ Tahama Leather

+ Heated/cooled Cup Holders

+ Specific Wood Trim not available in other models

+ Specific Badges

The key to Platinum is value for the money -- offering first class amenities such as custom leather, custom trim, etc. And offer it in a package on top of current high line offerings.

I agree that Cadillac has to offer a complete set of standard features as standard on all models. No manual seats in any model for example.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Archived