CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Trunk pull down feature

First off I should point out that I am not a Caddy owner. I own a cousin to the Caddy Eldorado, the Buick Riviera. A member of GMinsidenews sent me over here to see if I could get some answers here.

I purchased my '93 Riviera about a month ago from a older lady who bought it new. I have always enjoyed Buicks and have had many Regals until my last Regal, a '96 Custom coupe was totaled in Feb. when a driver spun out into my lane and I was forced to jump a snow bank and rolled the car in a ditch to avoid hitting him head on.

Yesterday I was out shopping and I lifted the trunk lid on the Riv then went to shut it, but the pull down feature would not suck the lid shut. I checked under the trunk mat to make sure everything was still connected and that there was no water or moisture present. So I drove it home with the lid down, but not completely shut. I woke up this morning went out to the garage and the lid was shut completely. Is there something I'm missing, maybe the motor for the mechanicism is on it's way out? Can the motors still be purchased? Because I doubt I'll be able to find one in a salvage yard. Thanks in advance for any help.

P4020007.jpg

The upper switch on the latch mechanism can crack and fail if the trunk is repeatedly slammed closed. It is relatively inexpensive. Another point to check is the wires that follow the trunk hinge - sometines, they break due to flexing when the trunk is opened/closed. Rarely does the motor itself fail.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

• 4 weeks later...

A lot of people said the Rivs (and Eldos) of that type were too small. But it sure looks the right size for today. Nice ride. Good luck with the trunk issue.

Do people own Cadillacs because they get more out of life, or do people get more out of life because they own Cadillacs?

A lot of people said the Rivs (and Eldos) of that type were too small. But it sure looks the right size for today. Nice ride. Good luck with the trunk issue.

I have not really thought of this generation of Riv as a small car. To me it is actually a rather large car. It has a massive hood and the trunk is quite long. I think the styling is a bit dated and thats what drove so many people to not like it, though I love the neoclassic like styling. It only weighs 3500 pounds, about 200 more pounds than any Regal I ever I owned. I think it a little underpowered. It seems gasp a bit with only 170hp, 200+hp would have been much more suitable like the 95+ generations got.

I recently took apart the trunk pull down mechanicism. I didn't see any brushes inside?? It has a motor on the side attached to a corkscrew/drill bit type gear that turns another gear inside the mechanicism that brings the hook latch up and down to give the trunk the pull down feature.I pulled the motor off the mechanicism and found that corkscrew/drill bit was out of balance. So I just used the corkscrew/drill bit, to reach down inside the rest of the mechanicism to turn the other gear to bring the hook latch down to the right position to allow the trunk to shut correctly without the power. So basicially its a regular shut trunk lid now. I assume since the corkscrew was out of balance it was not getting a good connection with the electrodes from the power source. I plan try to find another complete power down mechanicism to replace it though, I'm trying to keep the car in good order with all the gadgets working.

• 10 months later...

what a beauty, I am on strike on this post till We get more pics. lets see 1 pic equals 4 posts, sounds about right lol

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Check the upper latch switch - repeated slamming of the trunks will crack the switch and cause the symptoms you describe. Also, Inspect the wire harness for breaks where it follows the trunk hinge and by the connector plug towards the back of the trunk.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

• 1 year later...

Great color combination. I had a blue 92 model a while back. They are really put together well and as you know, pretty rare (at least decent examples). http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff383/1CarXpert/92%20Riviera/Finalview.jpg

I just posted a how to on disabling the pulldown feature. I like the feature well enough, but if it fails it leaves the trunk partially open for rain and who knows what else to get in. When you get another unit at the salvage yard I would make sure it is clean and greased well. eBay is another source as well, but you will need to be sure and get the correct unit (number of wires, etc.)

I had a 90 Mark VII with a sluggish trunk pulldown motor and upon investigation I found that the unit was full of birdseed—go figure. I suspect the previous owner snagged a bag of it putting it in the trunk and some of it wound up in the trunk pulldown assembly. I took it apart, cleaned it, greased it, and put it back together. It worked perfectly afterwards.

Archived