CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

The quality of ACDelco spark plugs

I try to use only OEM parts whenever they are available. Nevertheless, some of ACDelco products such as batteries, radiators, heater cores, spark plugs, spark plug wires are not the best choice IMHO.

Recently I bough a set of ACDelco 41-906 Platinum spark plugs. Examined them with a 10X magnifier and did not like the way the pucks were placed on the central and ground electrodes. ALL OF THEM were off axis. That actually makes the gap wider. I heard of missing pucks on Bosh plugs, but learned that ACDelco plugs are known to lose the pucks as well.

What's your experience? Here is an article on the subject.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

In my '94, the AC plugs were junk, in less than 50k mi., the platinum pads were gone, along with part of the electrodes.

I then tried the Bosch platinum plug, and they didn't last very well either.

I then tried NGK and they were excellent. Worked exceptionally well and lasted a very long time.

GM have used NGK in some of the new vehicles. My neighbor had a "shortstar" in his Olds, and the factory plug was NGK.

I think Corvettes came with NGK as well.

NGK are a quality plug.

Not Cadillac, however a few years ago I bought new plugs for my Corvette, Delco, and they were terrible.

The quality of manufacture was the worst I had ever seen. The electrodes were all a different length, and welded on the plug at weird angles.

I took them back to the Delco dealer, and we went thru about 80 plugs to find 8 that were some what normal looking.

These plugs were all made in Mexico.

I now have NGK in the Corvette and they work great.

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

Thanks for the info, gents. Despite the plugs were replaced by the dealer 10,000 miles ago (they put ACDelco Platinum 41-906), I am going to take them out and put iridium NGK #7164 ones.

Barry, what year is your Corvette? Is it LT1 engine?

Bbobynski would not be happy with this subject, but you can not argue with the continued loss of pads

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Thanks for the info, gents. Despite the plugs were replaced by the dealer 10,000 miles ago (they put ACDelco Platinum 41-906), I am going to take them out and put iridium NGK #7164 ones.

My corvette is a 1970 LT-1 coupe. I purchased it new in 1970. It's almost all original, including the paint.

A couple of years ago I upgraded the transmission to a 5 speed. The overdrive 5th is great on the highway.

A fun car, I still enjoy driving it.

Barry

post-5-127337624465_thumb.jpg

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

My corvette is a 1970 LT-1 coupe. I purchased it new in 1970. It's almost all original, including the paint.

A couple of years ago I upgraded the transmission to a 5 speed. The overdrive 5th is great on the highway.

A fun car, I still enjoy driving it.

Barry

Wow! 1970! Nice car!

How does NKG deal with this? Do they have pads also?

Where are AC Delco plugs manufactured?

I recall speaking with the Guru about pads coming off. I would imagine that something like this is insignificant to GM.

It is important to frame this thread in the context that 1) GM vehicles traditionally don't run will on aftermarket plugs, 2) GM stresses that OEM is the best for your GM car, and 3) the GURU considered it blasphemous to use anything but AC Delco plugs, and used the "we validate the plugs for you" reasoning.

If AC Delco quality is poor, why has this not been corrected? Why hasn't GM as a company when it sees pads coming off, do something about this and read AC DELCO the riot act? I have said it before, I WOULD HAVE SOMEONE BY THE THROAT!!!!! and the problem would be remedied one way or another!

This to me is a problem at GM, and they need to FIX IT NOW... think 3.6 timing chains, head gaskets and Getrag differentials as added reasoning. WTF is wrong and how do things like this happen? They talk about validating, they validate NOTHING.

Yeah, they validate engines for the PROTOTYPE, the one they BEAT INTO THE GROUND but by the time the engine hits the assembly line they build it as cheaply as possible and their reputation suffers. Think 3100/3400 upper intake manifold gaskets also....

EITHER DO THE FN JOB RIGHT, or DON'T DO IT AT ALL

My 1996 Cadillac Deville is sitting with a blown head gasket, or more accurately pulled bolts. I blew them over a year ago and it sits. I dropped the insurance, and I am considering junking it, it will net me $350 as I watch it flatbedded away.

Or should I fix the brake line, and try to sell it for $1000? Hmm decisions

I have come to the conclusion, that while I would love to pull the engine and rebuild it, at 57 and physically hurting badly I am not going to attempt it, I think it would do me in.

If I own another vehicle, of course it will be a 2000+ Cadillac STS.

If I sell my car, and don't have a Cadillac, I will be taking a Sabbatical from Caddyinfo. To say that, the last year or so in politics, take overs, bail outs and the direction of this country and the generally stupid Shi+t that has been going on, has been draining would be an understatement.

I really don't like being so public about this, but I feel like caddyinfo is a family to me and it has been a big part of my life for a long time. Physically I am feeling terrible and I need to focus and getting back in condition, assuming there is no underlying reason for it.

GM has disappointed me in so many ways. My friend of 50 years, George Ruggeri, the longtime owner (probably 60 years) of General Sales Cadillac, in West Chester, Pa passed away recently. He was a larger than life, big hearted, hard working, proud, Cadillac lover, GM proponent, John Wayne type with a Navy Seal physique type of guy. You spoke to him on the phone and felt better afterward. Totally upbeat. He was a special person and I was saddened by his death. To illustrate how much of a Cadillac lover he was, George had purchased about 30 new Cadillacs since the 50's, mothballed them, and stored them abover his original dealership in West Chester, PA, they were all MINT and serviced as needed to preserve them. They were all destroyed a few years ago in a fire, he was so upset and saddened by that. General Sales if you know them, was the best dealer in the Delaware County/Philadelphia, PA area other members have concured. http://www.ruggericadillacsaab.com/

I spoke to someone who was close to him who told me that George had passed away and he was very sad. However one thing he did say was, Do you think that GM did anything? or acknowledged it?

When I saw Bob Lutz at the CTS Challenge, in Monticello, NY. I wanted to introduce myself to him so badly and I didn't, inspite of having the opportunity and inspite of being 3 feet from him. Why?, do you ask? Because during the conversation, at some point I was going to admonish him and GM for NOT acknowledging the death of George Ruggeri. It was a very classless cold inhuman oversight by GM. I think a lot of Bob Lutz and did not want to upset him. Plus Mr Lutz there in a promotional capacity and I did not want to appear to be ambushing him. In addition, I was a GUEST and I represented Caddyinfo. So it was inappropriate.

GM dropped the ball, and it hurt me personally

Teams win, but teams are made up of individual people who represent you in the field, when you have a good team player he makes everybody better and you miss him when he is gone.

Game over folks.

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I don't know, Mike.

When I was without a Cadillac, I tended to underestimate the product, thinking it was biodegradable,

under engineered, obsolete engineering.

Of course, once I put another STS into my garage, my affinity to the product grew once again.

You can pick up so much car for so little money.

Everytime I get into my 2003 STS, I am impressed by the sheer smoothness, power, and refinement.

This, from an 8yr old car.

Now that I seem to have a good one, I may actually hold onto it for a couple of years.

So, I love my car, and have respect for our local GM dealer, which is owned by a hardworking

member of our community. He employs many of my neighbours, and puts money back into our small city.

GM corporate, I have little feeling or loyalty to them. Its just a large, impersonal corporation to me.

Now, corporate coldness is another matter.

I remember when my father died, my sibling's employers all sent donations and condolences.

My father was an exceptionally philanthropic businessman, giving not just from his pocketbook,

but giving much of his spare time to multiple charities.

My employer was aware of his death, and never sent as much as a note.

This was an employer/head office that I sent strong royalty checks to each week.

I was upset enough that I sold my franchise back to head office within six months ... I had

lost my passion for working for an unfeeling corporation.

I understand your feelings regarding GM corporate and their neglect to show compassion or to

celebrate the life of one of their own wonderful staff.

I would try to dissassociate your feelings for GM corporate from some of their excellent products.

I honestly don't know what car I would drive if I had to tie the autombile to the ethics of the

corporation. Is one manufacturer any more caring than the next?

A long winded response, Mike ... basically, I found my passion for Cadillac when I put another STS

in my driveway, and get to enjoy it every day. I believe if you ever find a nice, triple black 2003

STS with Nav and Magnaride, that you'll quickly regain your passion for the marque.

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Mike,

Sorry for the loss of your good friend and for GM not caring at all...

As for the quality, sometimes I ask a simple question "have these people actually drove the car, (used toilet, etc.) they brought to market"? Designing and manufacturing a product is not easy. One can fail in many ways. In my opinion, one of sources of underengineered products is that there are no REAL PROFESSIONALS at companies. I used to work for a high tech company and later have been doing consulting for dozens of others. If an average size company employs two engineers who know what they are talking about that company is very lucky! They hire people from the street with suspicious or no background whatsoever and want them to design competitive products (mostly by copying/stealing). What can you expect from such companies?

Do not get me wrong. I met many bright kids at companies. But none of them were well-respected or appreciated by the companies. They are usually "managed' by street-smart high school or college drop-outs who actually make all the final decisions! :(

I believe NGK uses pads as well. I am going to use regular NGK plugs. At least I will know what to expect and will not be guessing whether the pads are still there.

I don't know, its not a lack of passion for the car, its a disappointment in the company itself. A lack of attention to detail and quality control and dont tell me that it has gotten better, it has not with 2008 CTSs with timing chain issues.

As we all know, I am a staunch defender of GM. But when I can not avoid seeing problems through my rose colored glasses, reality sinks in.

When and how do problems get fixed?

I have said it over and over how do problems end up getting through to the assembly line, they want to make money build a product that is NOT problematic

Is is smart to build cars for the first owner that bearly get by the warranty period?

Is a car really an 8 year appliance?, that you must junk afterward?

Does GM think people are stupid when they say, oh the reason your Getrag differential is bad is because you broke it in wrong?

They are selling cars to people who can go for MB, BMW, etc, how intelligent is it to have a 2008 CTS with less than 15K miles on it, DIE twice while driving?, the second time it was in the shop for 2 weeks for a timing chain replacement. This is my friend, and I am embarrised. She bought it and is scared to drive it.

I am convinced that they are too big and can not influence the dealers, to be honest, reputible and competent

Why do they make spark plugs for YEARS that have pads that fly off?

Why does it take from 93 to 2004 to beef up the NSs head bolts?, I actually have heard that the real problem is the aluminum alloy that is used but who knows

Why can't they find a way to decrease the cost of replacement OEM struts. Who the heck wants to spend $800 each for struts when they need replacing

Cars are now microwaves or toasters, they need to get the accountants away from the production line.

With regard to my friends death, I realize that GM is a big company, but when a co worker see's that GM did not acknowledge a long term PILLAR of CADILLAC, OLDS sales dies, they needed to act. It shows that you are part of a bigger team. If you want dealers to feel like they are part of a bigger team you need to ACT like it yourself, otherwise dealers feel detached and GM does not get good team players.

GM needs to take a look at itself

I hear you about companies not caring anymore.

It is not just GM...

I was in the hospital a few weeks ago with super high blood pressure.

I have never had a blood pressure problem before and the only time I have ever been in the hospital was in 1975 when I got my hand crushed.

NO ONE from the company I work for has called me to see how I am.

All they cared about was when I would be back to work.

I have put the company's needs before mine...for the last several years.

I had planned on working for a few more years.

I am still in pretty good health and could work for several more years... if I wanted to.

I am now thinking I will retire at the end of this year.

Darling Wife "IS NOT" in real good health...

If I retire... I can retire and spend more time with her.

If they had taken the trouble to make "JUST ONE PHONE CALL"... I probably would not feel this way.

But "THEY DIDN'T" and now I am pretty much done with them.

Posted Image

I am sorry to hear that Jim and I hope your's and your wife's health gets better soon.

I am sorry to hear that Jim and I hope your's and your wife's health gets better soon.

Thank you, Mike.

I appreciate the thoughts.

I am fine now. I take a pill twice a day. :D

Darling Wife will not get better..or at least not much.

Thats another reason I am going to go ahead and retire.

I can spend more time with her...and we can take more "ROAD TRIPS" while she is still able to travel.

Heck... we might have to come to New York. :D

See you and Warren and go out to dinner somewhere. :D

Posted Image

Sounds great Jim, let me know when you plan to come up. I owe Warren a dinner from our birthday last year..

I hear you about companies not caring anymore.

It is not just GM...

I was in the hospital a few weeks ago with super high blood pressure.

I have never had a blood pressure problem before and the only time I have ever been in the hospital was in 1975 when I got my hand crushed.

NO ONE from the company I work for has called me to see how I am.

All they cared about was when I would be back to work.

I have put the company's needs before mine...for the last several years.

I had planned on working for a few more years.

I am still in pretty good health and could work for several more years... if I wanted to.

I am now thinking I will retire at the end of this year.

Darling Wife "IS NOT" in real good health...

If I retire... I can retire and spend more time with her.

If they had taken the trouble to make "JUST ONE PHONE CALL"... I probably would not feel this way.

But "THEY DIDN'T" and now I am pretty much done with them.

Hi Jim

We all hope that your wife's health improves to 100%.

My view, if you're interested, is that if you have the financial means to not have to work then by all means quit and spend time with your wife. If you're getting up there in years and your marriage is still strong with a lot of love, then you shouldn't feel guilty about quitting and spending time with your wife, especially if her health is not 100%. We never know what tomorrow will bring and the spouse should always be the priority, particularly if we have the financial means to slow down or to not work at all. Cherish what you have, because this life won't last forever!

Hi Jim

We all hope that your wife's health improves to 100%.

My view, if you're interested, is that if you have the financial means to not have to work then by all means quit and spend time with your wife. If you're getting up there in years and your marriage is still strong with a lot of love, then you shouldn't feel guilty about quitting and spending time with your wife, especially if her health is not 100%. We never know what tomorrow will bring and the spouse should always be the priority, particularly if we have the financial means to slow down or to not work at all. Cherish what you have, because this life won't last forever!

Mac,

Thanks for the sentiments.

It is appreciated.

I will be 66 in Dec.

Darling Wife just turned 66.

Her health problems probably will never get any better...but thanks for the well wishes.

We have been married for over 40 years.

Thats a pretty long time. :D :D

I have a little bit of money put back. :D

I don't have near as much put back as I really wanted to have...but I think between what I have and Social Security, I can get by. (Hopefully) :D

I wanted to work another year or two...mainly to get a newer car and get it paid for.

Then I would have one that I wouldn't have to worry about anything when we are on road trips.

My DTS has almost 80,000 miles on it now.

But with the way things are going at the company I work for... (long story)... I am just fed up.

My thinking is to quit just before Thanksgiving and start drawing Social Security in Dec.

(if I can put up with them for that long) :D :D

Posted Image

Mike, I hear you. I was extremely upset when my father-in-law bought a carefully checked out, Cadillac dealership serviced, low mileage 2004 Deville and we got it home and it leaked oil like crazy. I got to thinking, the Northstar has been on the market 10+ years and they can not keep the oil pan and other gaskets from leaking? It was the butt of a joke by the dealer mechanic, "It is the nature of the Northstar", that really upset me. To me if a company wants to create a good product then they should be improving it everytime a problem pops up. I work in the Structural Engineering field. I see more and more engineers that just do not give a crap. I spend a lot of time doing their job, fixing mistakes, because they do not have the experience to see or understand a problem. They rely way too much on the computer to figure it out and do not want to spend the time to understand the problem and fix it. I was a Ford man when My wife bought our first Cadillac, a 92 Deville, and I saw the quality that it had, that prompted me to buy the 94 Concours. I was shocked at the differance in the quality between the 92 & 94. The Concours quality was worse than the 92 especially for a high dollar car. But I dearly loved the Northstar on the 94 and overlooked the quality quirks and oil leaks chalking it up to just early development problems. The 94 finally fell after 167,000 miles to pulled headbolts and is now a parts car and yard ornament, but I really loved that car. The 97 Deville quality was improved a little and I do not have any oil leaks at 135,000 miles so I am looking for it to give me over 200,000+ miles of service but it just does not have all the bells and whistles of the Concours. I will probably buy another Cadillac so I guess I am a lost cause. Sorry for the rant and long post.

Thanks Paul, that was right on

But with the way things are going at the company I work for... (long story)... I am just fed up.

Boy does that sound familiar. I turned 62 on Apr.15 and retired on the 16th. Go as soon as you can. It's great.

Boy does that sound familiar. I turned 62 on Apr.15 and retired on the 16th. Go as soon as you can. It's great.

Thanks, Ranger.

I am gonna try to stick it out till this fall.

Thats not quite six months...and I will be in a lot better shape financially by then.

I am really, really, looking forward to it.

:yupi3ti::D:yupi3ti:

Posted Image

Jim, I think it's great that you want to retire to spend more time with your wife.

Coming from someone on the other side of the glass, I am sure your wife will appreciate it. I'm in poor shape also. I've been told that it's almost a guarantee that I will be in a wheelchair in the next 5 years (mind you, I am only 25) and with 3 very young children to take care of, it's hard on me. My boyfriend works 12 hours a day so our bills can be paid, so I'm on my own most of the time. I wish we were financially stable enough for him to leave his job, but we aren't. We are merely working class Americans just trying to get by...

I also know how it feels to work for an uncaring company. The last place I worked wouldn't even give me time off when someone in my family passed away so that I could go to the funeral. As much as I LOVED that job (it was a company that manufactured and engineered helicopter and aircraft engines...my kind of job) I left soon after that because of how unappreciated I felt there, and how heartless my manger seemed to be.

big4870885.jpg

Jim, I think it's great that you want to retire to spend more time with your wife.

Coming from someone on the other side of the glass, I am sure your wife will appreciate it. I'm in poor shape also. I've been told that it's almost a guarantee that I will be in a wheelchair in the next 5 years (mind you, I am only 25) and with 3 very young children to take care of, it's hard on me. My boyfriend works 12 hours a day so our bills can be paid, so I'm on my own most of the time. I wish we were financially stable enough for him to leave his job, but we aren't. We are merely working class Americans just trying to get by...

I also know how it feels to work for an uncaring company. The last place I worked wouldn't even give me time off when someone in my family passed away so that I could go to the funeral. As much as I LOVED that job (it was a company that manufactured and engineered helicopter and aircraft engines...my kind of job) I left soon after that because of how unappreciated I felt there, and how heartless my manger seemed to be.

Carla, life is full of surprises both bad and good ones. Lets hope you will be able to drive your Eldo for many many years.

Oh I will...even if I have to incorporate some kind of handheld throttle and brake mechanism. biggrin.gif

I'm sure I will still be able to drive...I just might not be able to walk. Heck, I have a hard time with that sometimes now. But I just keep telling myself that it takes talent to trip over flat surfaces....laugh.gif

big4870885.jpg

Archived