CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Considering a 2006 DTS

Hello everyone..

I have a 02 SLS that now has 150K on it and I am wanting to upgrade a bit and get a lower mileage vehicle. I am considering a 2006 DTS with 20K on it. What differences should I expect going from the SLS to the DTS? I like a nice smooth ride, but want decent performance too. In your opinion will I get this from the DTS? Also, is there any way that I can tell from a picture of the radio if it is a Bose model? It has been a while since I have been on the forum, but when I decided to upgrade, there was no doubt in my mind where I needed to ask my questions! CaddyInfo is the BEST!

Steve in Iowa

:welcomesmiley:

Get the VIN of a car you are considering and put it in the VIN tool at http://www.compnine.com and you can find most of the options on the car.

Generally the Bose radios do say Bose on them.

The DTS Performance Sedan has the powertrain of an STS; the other DTS models have the powertrain of the SLS.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Do you know what trim level the 2006 is that you are considering?

A couple of things to keep in mind.

Take a nice long drive in the car you are thinking about buying.

Not just a ride around the block.

When driving it, make sure the tire pressure is correct.

Some of them are pretty sensitive to proper air pressure and it may affect your impression of the car.

As for the radio...does it have NAV?

If so, it is BOSE.

Also look on the front door speaker grilles...mine has a BOSE logo on it.

Make sure it has the equipment and options that you want.

It is almost impossible to add things to it after purchase.

Oh...by the way... I have a 2006 with almost 80,000 miles on it.

It has been a good car.

Posted Image

I'd say you can expect very little difference, if any between the two cars. That is assuming that the DTS is not a Performance or Platinum model. I say this because the two cars (SLS/DTS) are built on the same platform, and with the same gearing, and same cam setup. Now there will be some differences in the engine controls and engine/trans mounts that will likely provide you with some improvements, but the differences won't be huge.

For example, I went from a '99 STS to an '08 DTS, and the cars seem almost identical to me except for the thottle response and high speed stability...the STS was better at speed, handled better, had a more controlled ride due to the CVRSS, and had better passing ability due to the different gearing/cam setup. Your SLS has none of that, so the ride will be very similar.

The '08 DTS excels in smoother ride (yet floaty) and better low speed engine response due to the "Drive by Wire" throttle and a cam setup that delivers more tourque in the 35 to 65 mph driving range. Performance falls off when approaching 100 mph, where the STS was still ready to go beyond 125. The '08 DTS also has a more refined engine/transmission mounting system which removes all of the slight bumps and movements that I felt on the STS. I don't know if the 2006 DTS was drive by wire or not.

To see the greatest difference between the two models you mention, make the new DTS a performance model....I don't think you'll regret it.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

As usual... thanks for the quick and informative responses. So, is the Bose option only available if the car has the Navigation/and display screen? Or can it be possible to have the Bose in the regular looking Radio. For my needs and driving habits, I was always glad that I chose the SLS over the STS. I do a lot of highway driving and not much high speed driving (over 85). I have always loved the low speed torque and fuel economy of my SLS. It helped me to hear that the DTS and DTS Performance models corresponded to the SLS/STS.

I was very disapointed back in 05 when the STS changed direction a bit and went to Rear Wheel drive. I live in Iowa and front wheel drive works so much better in our winter weather. I was concerned what my next Cadillac would be? I like the looks of the DTS and it sounds like it should be very similar in performance to my SLS. For the type of driving I do (Interstate cruising at about 80). I want a smooth, quiet ride. The DTS sounds perfect! Just a matter of finding the right one. I am looking at a 06 white diamond level II. It has 20,000 miles on it and is priced at about $21,000. I do not know if it has the Bose in it or not. I am 58 years old, so cranking up the tunes is not a super high priority. However, I had the Bose in my 1998 SLS, and did not have it in my 2002 SLS. I could tell the difference :)

The DTS I am looking at has the original tires. Does anyone have an idea of what tires may be good for me considering my driving habits and desire for a smooth quiet ride.

Now I remember, why I was addicted to this forum!! LOL

Steve in Iowa

Steve... I think the BOSE was available in the LUX ll but not in the base model.

BOSE is standard in the LUX lll and Performance models.

Air Conditioned seats were also available in the LUX ll as an option.

Use the link that Bruce provided...it will tell you "EVERYTHING" that is installed on the car.

Here is the link again. It may help to answer your questions about what options the car has. :D

http://www.compnine.com/vid.php

Posted Image

Which one would you choose?????

2006 - White Diamond, Level III, 46,000 miles, Bose, Massaging seats, Cadillac Certified. $20,500

2006 - White Diamond, Level II, 25,000 miles, No Bose, No Massaging seats, Not Caddy Certified. $21,500

The exterior and interior of both cars is perfect.

What features come with the level III from the level II? When looking at the compnine website that Bruce gave me the link to, the Level III had quite a few things that the level two did not have. Upgraded wheels, ect. Thanks for the help!!

Steve in Iowa

That IS a tough decision! You'll need to compare them feature by feature, I'd say. You can get some pretty "bare bones" LuxIII's. For example just because it's a III, doesn't mean that it will have Nav, or Lane Departure warning, or adaptive cruise,....IF those items were available in 2006.

It "probably" will have heated and cooled front seats, possible heated rear seats with adjustable lumbar, heated steering wheel (NICE in Iowa)and the massaging front seats which you mentioned.

One feature that is only included on the LuxIII and the Performance (and Platinum) is the rear privacy curtain/sun blocker, a surprisingly very nice feature, since it keeps the interior VERY comfortable on a sunny day, as well as helps reduce headlight glare from following cars at night.

In the end 20,000 miles isn't much in the expected life of the car. In fact 40,000 miles means to me that it was driven more on the higway, whereas the lower mileage car may have only made short trips. So I'm in agreement with TJ on this, go for the III.

As for tires, Michelins are probably the most often used, but are probably NOT the quietest on this car. Check with tire rack or consumer reports or some other road test magazine. I never found a clear answer on the Michelin Hydroedge, but I think a member here said they were very quiet. Maybe not so hot in the snow. I've also heard that Goodyear Triple Tread were good, but I don't know exactly how round they are.

One more thing on the tire question. I just happened upon this so I had to reply. Go to Bobistheoilguy.com, they now have a tire section (hint Bruce) which has some interesting info on the two tires I just mentioned. Despite some wierd things about Amsoil products on that site (main sponser) I still feel it has quite a bit of very useful information.

Thanks Johnny...

Yes, you are right. The Level III that I am considering does not have Navigation, which is OK as I have my trusty Garmin. I don't see where it has the lane change thing and the adaptive cruise either. Yes, it has the massage seats (which I like!) and the Bose (which I like!). It does have heated and cooled front seats and heated rear. Even an engine block heater. The rear sunshade sounds interesting. I am trying to picture how it works, and am having trouble doing that.

Your observation on the difference in miles is interesting. That was my opinion too, I just needed to hear it from someone else, as I am really leaning to the III. I like the wheels better, the Bose, the seats, and some of the interior trim upgrades. I also really like the "certified" part on the III. The Carfax come up on the III to be very clean and demonstrates a very regular service record too. I have 155,000 miles on my 2002 SLS. If I get a nice 100K out of this DTS, I will be very happy.

I will have to do a little research on tires. I have had the Michelin Symetry tires on my SLS, and although I know these are not top of the line Michelin's they performed well for me. I don't think they come in the size used on the DTS though. What would be a comproable tire to that do you think? I will study the archives a bit on the tire research. The Level III has Contenentals on it right now.

Thanks again everyone!

Steve in Iowa

The rear sushade is controlled by a button up on the headliner, next to the sunroof contols. The screen comes up from the rear window deck using two metal arms which fold down when retracted, when deployed the arms become the side edge supports. It works very well.

Back to the tires. Check Bruce's note on the improved Goodyear Comfortread. If it is available in the proper size, that would be one of my top choices. There has been a general poor opinion of Goodyear tires on these cars over the years, due to the fact that a lot of them produced around 2000 were not very round. This led to a lot of road force balance issues for owners like me. I'm hoping that Goodyear has improved there quality control since then. I would also try to get an agreement with the tire shop that you can take them back if they don't work out.

Doing some reading on Tire Rack tests, the Comfortread (old version I assume) led in ride quietness and comfort, followed closely by the Hydroedge Green-X, and the Bridgestone Ecopia (which also produced the highest fuel economy improvement over standard tires). My car (2008 DTS) came with the Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus (Green-X). This tire is good handling, but I think a little too noisy.

Archived