CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

rough running sts

i just bought a 97 STS and was told that it has sat for two years ( it has 84000 miles ). I've filled the tank three times after the second time the car started to run rough . I've check the diagnostic codes and have got nothing to indicate a problem , yet still runs rough .also I've gotten a back fire or two sounding like it comes from under the passenger floor board . this car is beautiful I don't want to have to set it on fire and return it to the previous owner via his living-room wall so please any ideas??? bad gas ? head gasket ? catalytic converter ?

If it is running rough and has backfires... there should be a code set.

Please pull the codes and post them here.

If it has set for 2 years...it may very well need plugs and wires.

Give us a better description of "RUNNING ROUGH"

Is it at all speeds?

Only when driving slow?

Only when taking off?

The more information we have...the better we can help you.

Of course we will help you, but if you plan on doing most of the maintenance and upkeep on the car... you may want to get the factory field service manual for it.

It will save you a lot of headaches. :D

ebay would be a good place to look...or if you want a brand new one.... HELMINC.COM

Posted Image

hi , it runs rough while in gear and during acceleration but i've notice it also any time the engine is running . It feels like a miss fire i pulled the codes and there is nothing about this problem i have got a b1347 low ac coolant and b1771 slow tape deck , i fixed the rss compressor and replaced the right front hub assembly .

If it is running rough and has backfires... there should be a code set.

Please pull the codes and post them here.

If it has set for 2 years...it may very well need plugs and wires.

Give us a better description of "RUNNING ROUGH"

Is it at all speeds?

Only when driving slow?

Only when taking off?

The more information we have...the better we can help you.

Of course we will help you, but if you plan on doing most of the maintenance and upkeep on the car... you may want to get the factory field service manual for it.

It will save you a lot of headaches. :D

ebay would be a good place to look...or if you want a brand new one.... HELMINC.COM

Sitting for two years may have caused the fuel injectors to stick open. Blow off the intake manifold around the injectors with compressed air and then lift the fuel rail so you can see all 8 injectors. have someone turn the ignition to on and look at the injector tips - if they are dripping fuel, the injectors will either need to be replaced or rebuilt.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I'd bet it need new plugs and wires (A/C Delco). Also, being a '97 it was involved in the fuel rail recall. It should have a stainless steel fuel rail.

Archived