CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1997 SLS Front End Popping Noise

2-Cups

Hi,

It's been a while since i've last posted anything on here, but I can't remember if I had ask about this problem before or not.

I have a "slight" popping noise under the front end of the car when driving over rocks or any surface other than smooth pavement. It sounds like a small rubber bushing of some sort that has either dried out (hardend up) or maybe just needs replacing due to sitting up (not driven much at all), or normal wear. The popping isn't loud, but it is very annoying at times. The steering & alignment are fine, but the ride is a little stiff in my opinion for a Caddilac across property, and rough roads, but highway driving it has a great ride. The popping is very prevalent while slowly driving out of my driveway (limerock surface). It sounds like it could be coming from 1 of the many small rubber bushings under the front end. There are no error codes (suspension) that come up, and the struts seem to be fine. There is no popping when pushing down on any corner of the car, and the response is good.

Is there any where to look at a diagram of the front end of the SLS pointing out the various bushings, and maybe pinpoint which of these bushings could be causing this popping noise. Would lubricant to the bushings help soften them up, or help in any way for this noise?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

2-Cups

Sounds like a front stabilizer link to me. When they go bad, the front suspension will make a pop/clunk noise when traveling over bumps, eneven roads, etc.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

this is as KHE the stabilizer links, they are about $19 to $30 in your auto parts store and can sometimes be difficult to remove, but not impossible, its a two bolt/nut operation but sometimes they are frozen and require some muscle

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I did the stabilizer links on mine a couple months ago, and they were a real pain to get off. I'm sure they aren't always as hard to get off as mine were, but I would suggest having a torch or grinder handy just in case. I had to use both to get mine off. Putting the new ones on is a piece of cake though. Mine were 20$ at Advance Auto and they had them in stock so I didn't have to wait for shipping.

Other possibilities for the clunking are the sway bar bushings or ball joints.

big4870885.jpg

I would also check the Lower Control Arm rod to frame connection. I doubt this is the problem since you would have likely noticed a loose front end. But I would check it nevertheless to make sure the nut isn't slightly steering problems and/or drifting. I would also check to make sure the rod bushings aren't deteriorating, thus allowing the rod to move.

Archived