CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Smoke from steering wheel

My boyfriend left for work today with the car, and called me soon after to tell me that he stopped at walmart and when he put the car in park, he noticed a little bit of smoke coming from the steering column/wheel area. He said it didn't smell like anything and it was a little wisp of smoke, as if someone held a lit cigarette behind the steering wheel that went away after a few seconds. I had him pull the codes and read them over the phone, and there weren't any that could be relevant to the smoke (just my infamous P039 code). I told him go to work and call me back if it happens again, and try to note exactly where it was coming from. He called me when he got to work and said that he noticed it again twice while he was driving and again when he got to work. Same thing as before, he said he couldn't smell anything burning and it only lasted a few seconds. I had him pull the codes again, and still nothing. He did however notice this time that it was coming from where the airbag cover meets the actual steering wheel on the back. I asked him if there were any noises or anything out of the ordinary when steering and he said no.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this? I'd really hate for my car to catch on fire while it's being driven. Thanks in advance.

big4870885.jpg

Sounds like the problem is your boyfriend, last time he overfilled the crankcase, :lol:.... j/k

I recalled we had other members with this problem and did a search with QUOTES "smoke from steering wheel" and found this thread

http://caddyinfo.ipb...?showtopic=6168

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Like Mike said.... You need to get him another car. :D :D :D

Things don't happen when "YOU" are driving. :D :D :D

just kidding....

Most likely the turn signal switch.

Ask him if the smoke correlates with using the turn signal.

Posted Image

Lol....I'd like to get a second car for him to use, but it just isn't in our budget right now. You're right, things do happen when he drives it, but he does drive it a bit more than I do. I know it's not HIS fault, and he isn't normally careless....maybe my car just doesn't like him as much as me. I have been the one taking care of it after all. biggrin.gif

I'll have to wait until he goes on his break at 8:00 (eastern) to ask him about the turn signal thing. My turn signal switch has always had a problem but I've just ignored it and lived with it. When I use the left turn signal, it doesn't turn off on its own after I have made a turn, so I have to switch it off manually. The right turn switch works perfectly fine. It seemed like nothing more than a minor nuisance to me so I haven't bothered with replacing it yet. Do you think that could have something to do with it?

big4870885.jpg

When I had a 1992 Cutlass Supreme, it was quite common in those models.

I bet it's the turn signal switch or wiring.

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

I'm going to guess that it is the turn signal switch. I know I'm gonna have to take it apart to verify that it is the problem. In the meantime my biggest concern (assuming it's the turn signal switch) is what are the chances that this could potentially cause a fire?

big4870885.jpg

It is probably nothing. I called Carlos (my boyfriend) on his lunch break and asked about the turn signal thing and he said it did it when he was stopped at a stop sign/light getting ready to turn, which means the turn signal was on. It also did it in the parking lot before shutting it off, but again, the turn signal had just been used. He said it didn't do it at all when he went out on his lunch break. We'll keep an eye on it though. Thanks again everyone!!

big4870885.jpg

Carlos made it home from work last night with no more smoke. I did however get a phone call at 2:30 am when he got home. He was in the driveway and couldn't get the car into park because the shifter came off in his hand....blink.gif. It took some persuasion, but we got it into park finally. Now I have something else to fix. Grrrrr...dry.gif

big4870885.jpg

By the way, you disappointed me with your "it never ends". You have expressed this type of sentiment a few times, and while I know its frustration showing, I want you to consider this,

Keep in mind that you are driving an old car

Keep in mind that you can buy a new car have a warranty and not pay for repairs but have a monthly payment. Or you can have a used car, with no warranty and have not payment but pay for repairs. Repairs that are inevitable as a car ages. Even when I was a kid, those cars needed constant maintenance like; points, plugs, ignition wires, water pumps (that were a biach to replace and we referred to them as crabs they were so big), shocks, control arm bushings, engine mounts, you get the point. Those cars did not last as long as these cars do. In my opinion the only way to own an old car is to repair them yourself or have really deep pockets and have an HONEST and COMPETENT mechanic something that is very hard to find for a Northstar. But a prudent thing to me is this. When your repairs today get to the point of being excessive you must make a decision, 1) get a used car in better shape, or 2) buy a new car, especially if the repairs on an annual basis have risen to the point of a new car payment factoring in insurance, depreciation etc... There is no free lunch. Doing the work and diagnosis yourself saves us a bundle. We CAN own an aging used car because we are NOT average car owners who go to FIRESTONE or GOODYEAR or PEPBOYS for maintenance and repairs who get gouged.

The point all of this is this. Getting down in the dumps, biaching, and moaning about repairs or issues is counterproductive, it serves no purpose, no one here cares to hear the biaching as we have our own car problems that we are resolving, because we consider this a HOBBY and a challenge. I find that the members who biach dont last, are not real true Cadillac lovers and before you know it, they are gone owning "the ultimate driving machine" or some other "dependable" vehicle that they believe will drive on forever with no repairs. All cars need repairs all cars break down, period. Two different cars with similar history's, mileage, drivers, style of driving, etc will need the same types of repairs. Each car has its "Achilles' heel".

The Cadillac is a big, powerful monster of a vehicle that is comfortable and safer than a smaller vehicle in the event of a serious accident. I don't want to look back and say, if I only had a bigger car, my son or daughter would be alive. Its size and performance alone put stresses on its systems, some of which are cutting edge. Hell even the billion dollar space shuttle is grounded because of sensors, solenoids, leaks ETC...

If you look back in my posts, I have NEVER expressed any biaching or unhappieness with my Cadillac when it has had problems. When I confirmed that I had a bad HG, I never ONCE said a negative thing about it.

Now don't take this personal its not meant to be taken personal, its just that I want you to think about a few things and change your line of thinking to be positive. You are hear because you own a Cadillac and this board, along with your passion to fix them permits you to own it. But be sure, that if you owned a similar; aged, mileage and cared for (any other car) you would have similar repairs. Does the Cadillac have some quirks, yep, is it an amazing vehicle, yep, I put up with the quirks then

I will tell you that I have a Kenmore dishwasher, refrigerator and cooktop that are NOTHING but problems, constantly breaking down that I constantly repair... Its time to look at Miele appliances... Last month my neighbors 1 1/2 year old faucet's hot water valve BLEW out of it and flooded her kitchen, imagine me crawling under HOT water to turn off the hot water valve under the sick amidst electric..... NOTHING is made to last regardless of how much you pay for it

I played basketball, and I often say, sports made me a positive person, because IF you believe that with three minutes to go and you are down 10 points that you are going to LOSE?, get off the court and hit the showers...... In that situation, I always believed we would win, and often did, positive thinking brings out the best in us.

Just trying to make you think positive, Rant off

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Carlos made it home from work last night with no more smoke. I did however get a phone call at 2:30 am when he got home. He was in the driveway and couldn't get the car into park because the shifter came off in his hand....blink.gif. It took some persuasion, but we got it into park finally. Now I have something else to fix. Grrrrr...dry.gif

Think positive, your next boyfriend will be easier on your car..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mike, I'm sorry if I offended anyone at all. It's not my car that has caused a negative attitude. The "it never ends" statement was not directed at my car, it was at life in general right now. I LOVE my car, and if I had to sink another 1,000$ into it in the next year, I would be ok with that. I hope I don't, but if it happens, it happens.

I've got a lot going on right now. I found out yesterday morning that a very good friend of mine has been diagnosed with stage 4 cancer, and is dying. I have a lot of health problems as well, and due to a problem with my insurance I have been off my medications for a few days now, and I haven't been taking it very well. My income has been chopped down quite a bit. It's just a lot of thnigs going on in my personal life, then the car having problems brought on this "what else could go wrong?" mindset. I'm trying to be positive.

On a happier note, I managed to get the shifter fixed without any major trouble. smile.gif

And as for the boyfriend, I don't want to get rid of him or the car so I guess we will just have to get him another car so he can stop breaking mine. laugh.gif

big4870885.jpg

Mike, I'm sorry if I offended anyone at all. It's not my car that has caused a negative attitude. The "it never ends" statement was not directed at my car, it was at life in general right now. I LOVE my car, and if I had to sink another 1,000$ into it in the next year, I would be ok with that. I hope I don't, but if it happens, it happens.

I've got a lot going on right now. I found out yesterday morning that a very good friend of mine has been diagnosed with stage 4 cancer, and is dying. I have a lot of health problems as well, and due to a problem with my insurance I have been off my medications for a few days now, and I haven't been taking it very well. My income has been chopped down quite a bit. It's just a lot of thnigs going on in my personal life, then the car having problems brought on this "what else could go wrong?" mindset. I'm trying to be positive.

On a happier note, I managed to get the shifter fixed without any major trouble. smile.gif

And as for the boyfriend, I don't want to get rid of him or the car so I guess we will just have to get him another car so he can stop breaking mine. laugh.gif

You are not offending anyone don't worry about it. I am sorry about your friend, life is so unfair at times, I have a friend that is dying of cancer also, its terrible to watch. Hang in there, you can only be positive, it helps a lot...

You are not offending anyone don't worry about it. I am sorry about your friend, life is so unfair at times, I have a friend that is dying of cancer also, its terrible to watch. Hang in there, you can only be positive, it helps a lot...

It does help. What bothers me the most about my friend's situation is that he is in a hospital all the way in New Hampshire so I haven't been able to see him. He was transferred there due to their amazing Oncology department, and they are treating him very well. He starts chemotherapy today, but it still doesn't look promising. He's a fighter though and won't give up until he has exhausted any and all options available to him. I'm planning a road trip out there in the next couple weeks to see him. I call him every day. I feel awful for him though. He just got married last month and has a son on the way, and he's only 29. It's like his life just got ripped out from under him.

Mike, I'm sorry about your friend also. Life isn't fair sometimes. Seeing someone close to you in that situation though really makes you think "Hey, that could just as easily be me." and it definitely gives you a better appreciation for life. After my oldest son's father died 7 years ago, I learned never to take life for granted and to appreciate everything and try to be positive, but that doesn't mean I don't still get down and out sometimes. Sorry for taking out my frustrations on here a little bit. I know this is a Cadillac enthusiast forum, not a "complain about your life" forum. Lol.

big4870885.jpg

I understand. It really never makes sense. This is a family here, we can talk about anything. See if you can get up to see your friend, the car will love it

Carla, mark on your calendar the days your Eldo did not puzzle you. LOL Just kidding.

I could not put it better than BBF has done. Used cars are very cheap to own if you do most of repairs. You showed that ability, so you should be fine. On the other hand, if at some point you are overwhelmed with problems, getting another used car in much better shape IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO. I wish I made that decision three years ago, not last September.

As for the health problems (both yours and your friend's), sometimes I catch myself thinking of my Cadillac's problems more than I would think of my own problems. That is not right. The car is just a piece of metal after all. One should think of himself FIRST!

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I understand. It really never makes sense. This is a family here, we can talk about anything. See if you can get up to see your friend, the car will love it

I plan to go see him. I just need to be sure my car is ready for a 5 hour drive. I definitely need to get the brake pads and the ball joints replaced first though. I've never had it out on the interstate, so I'm going to love the drive!

big4870885.jpg

I plan to go see him. I just need to be sure my car is ready for a 5 hour drive. I definitely need to get the brake pads and the ball joints replaced first though.

I've never had it out on the interstate, so I'm going to love the drive!

If yours is anything like mine...both you and the Cadillac will love the 5 hour drive. :D

Look forward to hearing about your trip.

Posted Image

If all goes as planned, I'll have it fixed this weekend and will be making the trip next weekend. I'm working on finding someone to go with me. I like solo drives, but being this is the first time I will be driving the car so far I would rather have someone with me. I'll definitely let everyone know how the trip goes.

big4870885.jpg

Archived