CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Corvette Race Report Long Beach Street Fight

Corvette Races to Second in Long Beach Street Fight

Magnussen Recovers from Sixth to Take Runner-Up Finish

LONG BEACH, Calif., April 17, 2010 -- Things were looking a little grim for Corvette Racing at the halfway point of the 100-minute American Le Mans at Long Beach, but Jan Magnussen battled back from sixth to a runner-up finish in the No. 3 Compuware Corvette C6.R. Magnussen and teammate Johnny O'Connell threaded their way through the unforgiving concrete barriers that line the Long Beach street circuit to finish four seconds behind the No. 45 Porsche of Pat Long and Joerg Bergmeister. The No. 4 Compuware Corvette of Oliver Gavin and Olivier Beretta was not so fortunate, finishing bruised and battered in ninth at the checkered flag.

"It was a fantastic team effort to finish where we did," said Magnussen. "With so little time on the race track, to have a race car this good shows just how strong Corvette Racing is."

The No. 3 Corvette C6.R made its single pit stop for fuel and four Michelin tires under caution at 57 minutes into the race. Needing less than half a tank of E85 ethanol to make it to the finish, the yellow Corvette came into the pits in third place but returned to the track in sixth.

"We had a small problem in the pit stop," Magnussen explained. "Because it was such a short pit stop, I wasn't able to get myself ready in the cockpit, so we lost positions in the pit lane. I knew exactly what had happened -- I wasn't upset, I was just motivated to get back to the front. I had a great car and I was able to take back the positions one by one."

Read more: http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=364547&FS=ALMS-LEMANS

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Archived