CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

98 STS - Installed Strut Kit - Now getting warnings

Good evening

I recently needed new rear suspension for my 1998 Seville STS.

I had to install an aftermarket non electronic kit which was 2500 dollars cheaper.

Now when I turn on the car, I get a message, Speed limited to 145 km/h

I really don’t feel like going to pay $140 from the dealer to get this checked out

But I know its the new strut kit.

How can I just disable this message? I don’t need to speed; also I don’t want to see this message everyday, for the rest of my life, lol

You want to install a resistor into the chassis connector where your OEM shock wiring was connected.

If you simply cut the wire harness when the OEM shocks were removed, you can also simply solder a resistor on the ends of the two wires in that harness.

Insulation and waterproofing are recommended.

The resistor value is 4.7K Ohms, Radio Shack item # 217-1124.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

You want to install a resistor into the chassis connector where your OEM shock wiring was connected.

If you simply cut the wire harness when the OEM shocks were removed, you can also simply solder a resistor on the ends of the two wires in that harness.

Insulation and waterproofing are recommended.

The resistor value is 4.7K Ohms, Radio Shack item # 217-1124.

I couldnt find the Item on the Radio Shack Website.

However at my local store now called "the source"

they have 4.7k 1/4 watt and 1/8th watt resistors.

Does it matter which one I purchase?

I would use the 1/4 Watt simply for double the fudge factor at the same price. That Radio Shack item # is the 1/4 Watt part.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Do you think this would work on a 93 Deville with electronic rear struts? I actually didn't know that they made such a thing until my father-in-law started taking his out and they had a plug-in on top. My 93 sixty special just has regular shocks so it confused me.

-Dusty-

2006 Cadillac DTS Glacier Gold Tri-Coat with 175,000 miles

1993 Cadillac Sixty Special Gold Mist with 185,000 miles

Do you think this would work on a 93 Deville with electronic rear struts?

I have no idea what value of resistance might or might not prevent suspension messages on a '93 Deville.

But this sounds like an opportunity for you to experiment a little and tell the board what resistance value does prevent the messages.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Do you think this would work on a 93 Deville with electronic rear struts?

I have no idea what value of resistance might or might not prevent suspension messages on a '93 Deville.

But this sounds like an opportunity for you to experiment a little and tell the board what resistance value does prevent the messages.

Sounds good. It's not like resistors are expensive. I have some laying around anyway. I'll go check it out this weekend. He's been wanting to replace them, but doesn't want the message and you can't find the original shocks anymore.

-Dusty-

A 93 Deville with electronic rear struts? Not sure the '93 Deville had active suspension available and if it did, the fronts would be as well. Are you sure you are not talking about the ELC?

A 93 Deville with electronic rear struts? Not sure the '93 Deville had active suspension available and if it did, the fronts would be as well. Are you sure you are not talking about the ELC?

Well...I don't know now! haha It had a sensor on the top of the strut and my 93 Sixty Special did not. I just assumed that's what that is. Because I know my controls the level by a sensor on the control arm or somewhere around there. I can take a picture and see what you think. Just let me know.

-Dusty-

If it has electronics running to the strut it must be active. None on the front?

Yep, I was suprised as you. I didn't think they had it back then. We haven't checked the front yet. His back ones are leaking air, so he was going to replace them.

-Dusty-

Archived