CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Test Drove a Deville - Questions on Codes

I test drove a 99 Deville with 84,000 miles and I had a couple of questions on the codes that I got.

PCM-

P0171 - Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 1

P0174 - Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 2

P0603 - Control Module Long Term Memory Reset

P0741 - TCC System Stuck Off (I know exactly what this is, I've head a few Caddy's with this problem)

P1574 - Stoplamp Switch Circuit

P1617 - Engine Oil Level Switch Circuit

TCS

C1224 - Current - Right Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Input Signal is 0

C1228 - Current - Right Rear Excessive Wheel Speed Variation

C1233 - Right Front Wheel Speed Circuit Open or Shorted

C1235 - Right Rear Wheel Speed Circuit Open or Shorted

C1241 - Current - Variable Effort Steering Circuit Malfunction

C1277 - Requested Torque Signal Circuit Malfunction

C1291 - Open Brake Lamp Switch Contacts During Deceleration

MSM

B0856 - Current - Battery 2 Out of Range

I was test driving the car a little bit and decided to check the codes. The last "B0856" didn't appear until this situation: I used the power seat on the driver side and the lights went dim and the seat stopped working. That is when the "B0856" code appeared. I happened to have the voltage up when I did that and it went all the way down to 12 when I used the power seat.

The "Service Steering System" was on, I'm sure that is because of the C1241 code. If a sensor needs to be replaced, what would it be called so I can look it up to see about how much it would cost.

I'm guessing the right rear wheel sensor is out, I looked on rockauto and it appears to be about $100. It says only with heavy duty brakes(J55) or heavy duty susp(FE7). I'm not sure if it has the FE7, but I'm 99% sure it doesn't have the F55. I took a peek at the RPO codes and all I saw was JL9. Another thing with the sensor is this:

When I was braking, the ABS kicked in WAY too soon. Could a faulty wheel sensor send the ABS wild? After I had the ABS kick on a couple of times, the ABS light and brake light (or traction control light, can't remember) came on.

Could the brake switch be bad, is that why there is all those brake light codes?

I'm thinking that the battery might be bad, that's why there are a lot of random codes.

Any input is great! :)

-Dusty-

2006 Cadillac DTS Glacier Gold Tri-Coat with 175,000 miles

1993 Cadillac Sixty Special Gold Mist with 185,000 miles

I test drove a 99 Deville with 84,000 miles and I had a couple of questions on the codes that I got.

PCM-

P0603 - Control Module Long Term Memory Reset

P0741 - TCC System Stuck Off (I know exactly what this is, I've head a few Caddy's with this problem)

P1574 - Stoplamp Switch Circuit

TCS

C1224 - Current - Right Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Input Signal is 0

C1228 - Current - Right Rear Excessive Wheel Speed Variation

C1241 - Current - Variable Effort Steering Circuit Malfunction

C1277 - Requested Torque Signal Circuit Malfunction

C1291 - Open Brake Lamp Switch Contacts During Deceleration

MSM

B0856 - Current - Battery 2 Out of Range

I was test driving the car a little bit and decided to check the codes. The last "B0856" didn't appear until this situation: I used the power seat on the driver side and the lights went dim and the seat stopped working. That is when the "B0856" code appeared. I happened to have the voltage up when I did that and it went all the way down to 12 when I used the power seat.

The "Service Steering System" was on, I'm sure that is because of the C1241 code. If a sensor needs to be replaced, what would it be called so I can look it up to see about how much it would cost.

I'm guessing the right rear wheel sensor is out, I looked on rockauto and it appears to be about $100. It says only with heavy duty brakes(J55) or heavy duty susp(FE7). I'm not sure if it has the FE7, but I'm 99% sure it doesn't have the F55. I took a peek at the RPO codes and all I saw was JL9. Another thing with the sensor is this:

When I was braking, the ABS kicked in WAY too soon. Could a faulty wheel sensor send the ABS wild? After I had the ABS kick on a couple of times, the ABS light and brake light (or traction control light, can't remember) came on.

Could the brake switch be bad, is that why there is all those brake light codes?

I'm thinking that the battery might be bad, that's why there are a lot of random codes.

Any input is great! :)

wow i dont know, thats alot of codes and possibly alot of money. just the 0741 could be a $1000+. Id check a car fax on the car, theres alot of issues by the brakes and wheels and I wonder if there was an accident or something.

As for heavy duty brakes, anytime I see the option of heavy duty on a cadillac I immediately think limosine!

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

You posted in your other thread that this car is 2900$. That's a lot of codes for an almost 3k$ car. I would see what suggestions are made here as to the codes/problems it has. That 2900$ car could very quickly turn into a 6000$ car.... You have to consider if it's really worth it to YOU to put a lot of money into it, if needed.

big4870885.jpg

I don't want to throw a wet blanket on the party...but that sure is a lot of codes.

Several of them could also be expensive codes to fix.

I think I would be continuing to look for another one that does not have so many built in problems.

Just my opinion...

Posted Image

It does seem like a lot of problems, but I think a lot of them are caused by the battery. He was very honest and told me every problem he ever had. He mentioned that the battery isn't in the best shape and has been dead a couple of times.

The car is in PERFECT shape. Not even a dent or scratch in it and the interior is in perfect shape. He is the second owner and has had it since it was 18,000 miles.

I know it's a lot of codes, but Caddy's are hard to come by around here and he said he was taking it to a Cadillac dealer to check out the stuff that was wrong with it.

The other Caddy's I'm finding are anywhere from 4000-7000 for the same year with 120,000 to 170,000 miles and not nearly as good of shape. Plus this one has more options.

Does anyone know what sensor the C1241 code is refering to? I'm going to call him today to see if he found anything out about the problems.

-Dusty-

Do you know what the solenoid is called? Would it be the steering wheel position sensor? I just wanted to check just to get a price figure. Thanks!

-Dusty-

Vacuum leak

Probably a bad oil level sensor

Wheel speed sensors are either unplugged at the inboard side of the hub or you need a couple of hub and bearing assemblies.

I just came across this thread:

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=12867

Do you think the wheel sensor is causing the C1241 to appear since the VES uses the wheel sensors to tell it what to do?

-Dusty-

Do you know what the solenoid is called? Would it be the steering wheel position sensor? I just wanted to check just to get a price figure. Thanks!

This is a TSB for a leter model car than yours...but the only definite thing I found on that code was THIS....

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/tsb/data/03-02-36-001a.pdf

Don't know if this helps or not.

It just says to replace solenoid if you get that code.

But obviously, you should check the wiring and connector first...

Posted Image

This is a TSB for a leter model car than yours...but the only definite thing I found on that code was THIS....

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/tsb/data/03-02-36-001a.pdf

Yeah, it could be as simple as the connector getting caught on something or the wires are loose. It's amazing how many problems are just simple problems like that. I was an idiot a while ago and I replaced some solenoid on my 2000 DTS, but it was just a vacuum leak on that solenoid so I wasted $50. Oh well! I'm probalby going to go take a look at the car again this week sometime after he has gotten things fixed.

-Dusty-

http://www.cadillacf...-02-36-001a.pdf

Yeah, it could be as simple as the connector getting caught on something or the wires are loose. It's amazing how many problems are just simple problems like that. I was an idiot a while ago and I replaced some solenoid on my 2000 DTS, but it was just a vacuum leak on that solenoid so I wasted $50. Oh well! I'm probalby going to go take a look at the car again this week sometime after he has gotten things fixed.

It might be a good idea to clear all of the codes... then take in on a nice long drive...a few miles, not just around the block, and see what codes come back.

Good Luck.

:D

Posted Image

Archived