CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Buying from private party

I'm buying an expensive part from a private party that's going to have to be shipped. What is the best way to pay to minimize the chance of becoming empty handed (money order, paypal, check, etc)?

IPB Image

Ideal would be:

a) Only buy from a Seller who is known to you

B) have SOMEONE actually see the item locally to check out

c) ask for a 30 day money back guarantee that if the item is not as described money back no questions asked

The ideal method of paying a lot of money for an item would be an independent escrow account held by a third party, but you are unlikely to get that as an option.

Also depends on what you mean by a lot of money I suppose. Paypal and Ebay have procedures, but they mostly depend on the Seller being a valid seller wanting to protect his reputation on ebay or paypal. A popup Seller with no reputation to protect is a sign not to buy sight unseen.

If it was really a LOT of money you should fly out and examine the item before paying.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Thanks for the reply. The item is less than $400. I did some checking up and the seller has a verified paypal account. I heard it might be safer to pay using credit card on Paypal.

IPB Image

I agree that using a credit card on paypal gives you an additional buffer -- you can make a claim to the credit card company as well if needed.

Generally I have had good luck with purchases online and usually get the item as described; just have to be careful to read every word and look at every picture to ensure you know what is being described. I have skipped items offered by people with no history however from concern that they don't have any skin in the game.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Archived