CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2002 DTS shake between 85-120km/hr ( canadian)

mademan

I went and bought a 2002 DTS yesterday, From the next province over about 7 hours away. I checked all the codes and everything was fine. The guy has reciepts for work done on the rear suspension. I got it for a good price so I was happy...... Then about 5 hours into the trip home, I get a "service stability control" message and a shake between 85-120km.hr over 120k is fine no shake, same with under 85km/hr. A buddy driving behind me says that my rear passengers side wheel was wobbling........ axle? or what? any help is much appretiated, as I need to have this all fixed before I can get an out of province safety to get plates.

here it is black on black :

dts.jpg

Could be anything, jack it up and see if there is play in the wheel. Shake it at 12 and 6 and 9 and 3 o clock and see where the play is.

It could be the 'adjustment link', it looks like a tie rod, but it could be a bad hub bearing or bushings on the control arm

Here is a drawing of the area

02RearControlArm-1.gif

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

....The guy has reciepts for work done on the rear suspension.....I get a "service stability control" message and a shake between 85-120km.hr

Display your codes again and pay attention to the "C" (Chassis) codes. That stabilty control message was displayed for a reason.

....buddy driving behind me says that my rear passengers side wheel was wobbling........

Too many possibilities to guess at here. Bent wheel, improperly torqued wheel lug nuts, faulty tire, failed hub bearing, and on and on.

A thorough systematic inspection will be required. And I would start with the rear suspension work the previous owner paid for.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I went and bought a 2002 DTS yesterday, From the next province over about 7 hours away. I checked all the codes and everything was fine. The guy has reciepts for work done on the rear suspension. I got it for a good price so I was happy...... Then about 5 hours into the trip home, I get a "service stability control" message and a shake between 85-120km.hr over 120k is fine no shake, same with under 85km/hr. A buddy driving behind me says that my rear passengers side wheel was wobbling........ axle? or what? any help is much appretiated, as I need to have this all fixed before I can get an out of province safety to get plates.

here it is black on black :

dts.jpg

When shaking like this is speed dependent, it is usually because of the tire. In your case I would suspect belt seperation inside the tire, or severely out of balance. A bent wheel is usually noticable at slow peed, like 25 mph. You can move the tire/wheel assembly to a different position on the car and see if the issue follows, but be VERY careful. If the belt is indeed seperated, the tire is not safe to drive on. You could also borrow a tire, or put on the spare (full size only if possible) to see if the issue goes away.

I had a belt separate once on a ford truck, my buddy driving next to me could see the wheel hopping on the highway. Funny thing was we put the tire on a spin balancer and it balanced fine! The damage was only visible on the balance machine if you looked REALLY hard.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Archived