CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Front Windows, 97 Deville

i have a 97 deville 4.6l 4 door, the right front window quit workin an now the driver side quit. now on the passanger side i fliped the wires around to roll it up an put a different switch in it an nuthing. now for the driver side i found the problem put looked in the hanyes book an it says on earlyer modles u need to put a bolt threw the regulator frame an the sector gear put thats what i need to take off is the sector gear(its a bannana shaped that when the window motor turns it moves that piece to go up or down) thee r 2 teeth that r missing. so do i have to brace that spring or can i just take it apart? there seems to be a bolt in the middle of the spring, lost on what to do if anyone could help thanks alot

Don't know if this will help since you think you have found the problem, but my 99 deville 4 door has had the problem that the cable that moves the window up and down becomes detached from the tiny plastic part that secures to the metal crimped piece on the cable. This is the stupidest and cheapest way to attach the cable to the window I have ever seen and when it fails the whole regulator must be replaced even though 99% of it is still working fine. Some smartass engineer/designer saw a way to make the company some $. I have replaced 3 of these unit on my car and several on others. If you really have teeth stripped that's a new one on me.

Don't know if this will help since you think you have found the problem, but my 99 deville 4 door has had the problem that the cable that moves the window up and down becomes detached from the tiny plastic part that secures to the metal crimped piece on the cable. This is the stupidest and cheapest way to attach the cable to the window I have ever seen and when it fails the whole regulator must be replaced even though 99% of it is still working fine. Some smartass engineer/designer saw a way to make the company some $. I have replaced 3 of these unit on my car and several on others. If you really have teeth stripped that's a new one on me.

thanks for the tip. guess ill have to take it apart an hope for the spring will not hit me in the face an wont do any damage.(going to try this) is there any way that i could send a pic of what im lookin at to anyone, its getting hot an i know i can do it so i dont want to take it to a shop. thanks to anyone who reads this.

I had a similar problem with the the back window of a 2001 DHS. Took it apart & the plastic clip that holds the cable in 1 place was broken. I could here the motor running up & down so knew that it had to be something else. I have heard of similar complaints in other brand GM cars as well. A few calls to the parts stores told me that they sell more regulators & very few motors.

thanks for the tip. guess ill have to take it apart an hope for the spring will not hit me in the face an wont do any damage.(going to try this) is there any way that i could send a pic of what im lookin at to anyone, its getting hot an i know i can do it so i dont want to take it to a shop. thanks to anyone who reads this.

If you create an account on Photobucket.com you can upload the picture there, then link to it here.

big4870885.jpg

If you create an account on Photobucket.com you can upload the picture there, then link to it here.

well this computer is junk, wont let me do a pic. thought of something till i can fix it, took the door apart an rolled the window down far enough where the window motor wont hit the broken teeth so i have to leave it down bout an inch so i can roll it down all the way an then roll it up to a point. never thought this would be that hard. thanks to everyone an see if i cant do anything bout it this weekend.

well this computer is junk, wont let me do a pic. thought of something till i can fix it, took the door apart an rolled the window down far enough where the window motor wont hit the broken teeth so i have to leave it down bout an inch so i can roll it down all the way an then roll it up to a point. never thought this would be that hard. thanks to everyone an see if i cant do anything bout it this weekend.

If you want to email them to me, Ill post them for you. Send me a PM and Ill give you my email address

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

If you want to email them to me, Ill post them for you. Send me a PM and Ill give you my email address

i dont knw what a PM is

PM is "Private Message"

Click on "HIS" user name...one of the options on the left side of the screen...is "Send Me A Message."

Click "THAT"... and you can send him a private message.

Posted Image

Thanks Jim

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

• 1 month later...

ok the 97 does not have cable driven regulators.

1998 was the first year to recieve cable regulators, (which I might also add are garbage) I have changed many of the cable regulators.

I would like to think that your problem is the motor is internally bad. When you remove the door panel ,you will see that the window motor is secured with 3 nuts onto the regulator assembly. Unbolt the 3 nuts and pop the motor off. Replace the motor and reassemble.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Archived