CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Thinking about jumping ship

JLAWS

Hey, the CTS to me never looked good in pictures, but when I see one on the road, they do look really good. The CTS is not too photogenic. The Lexus is also nice, but definitely looks ricer-like. I could never be sure if it was a Mazda or Nissan or Hyundai.

Japanese cars never age gracefully. They dont become classics. Name one japanese classic.........

good luck.

Japanese cars never age gracefully. They dont become classics. Name one japanese classic.........

good luck.

Uh, Acura NSX? 1971 Datsun 510...1970 Datsun 240Z...? Datsun 1600/2000's?

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

LOL Bob..... I almost forgot about those Datsuns. All the college kids drove those rust buckets around campus. I guess that would be a backhanded compliment to the Datsun now wouldn't it? I remember back in those days a few of us were leaning against a Datsun i think or was it a Honda? It came from Japan I do remember that much. The side panels crumpled in like tin foil to our horror. Could hardly believe it. Anyone else remember those soft panels? Well it's nice to see that they've made some improvements over the years. Could you imagine getting whacked by a caddy in those days? They'd have to come get you with a sponge.

-kg

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

GOOD LUCK WITH your LEXUS ,now as best i can remember they do not have and on board diagnostic for the owner , and when i tried to get mine fixed virtually NO ONE would work on it be cause their computers would not work on the LEXUS, AND the cost was prohibitive because their was not enough of them around to warrant buying one. PARTS, yes that was another eye opener, I would venture a guess that 98 to 99 percent of those are DEALER ITEM ONLY, AND he is not going to have it in stock, it will be NEXT WEEK before i can have it here , unless you want to pick up the air freight.AS long as it is in warranty , your ok, but when it runs out you better get the jar of KY jelly out , your going to need it. NOW i do not know about the new ones , but i think they still use timeing belts, that is two , not chains, ask how much to RandR everything for timing belts, they are a time change item. Either have your nitro tablets handy or a good chair. SOMETHING as simple as the idle on the car , one part to get it to ideal so it would not die, 625.00 just for the part, labor and diagnostics a little over 1,000.00 . Now if you like A/C, if your compressor goes out, and it will go out, Dealer item only , no reman units available, you will find out quick PARTS SOLD SEPERATELY, you can not buy a complete compressor , you have to buy the compressor at 700.00 and then you get to buy the clutch assembly seperate at the bargain price of about 680.00 , if your lucky your bill will only be a little under 2,500.00 . Check out the service bays , it is not like the maytag man, they all will be full. I AM not knocking the car only advising they are expensive to maintain. My local lexus dealer was not trying to get rich off of the LEXUS , dealership, since he also owned the CADILLAC, AUDI , AND SATURN, DEALERSHIP. BEST OF LUCK

Hey, the CTS to me never looked good in pictures, but when I see one on the road, they do look really good. The CTS is not too photogenic. The Lexus is also nice, but definitely looks ricer-like. I could never be sure if it was a Mazda or Nissan or Hyundai.

good luck.

Uhhh, the 240Z? ;)

Early on sailors navigated by the stars at night and the North star became the symbol for finding ones way home. Once you know where the Northstar is you can point your ship in the right direction to get home. So the star became a symbol for finding ones way home or more symbolically even finding ones path in life.

:ph34r: JUMP!!!!! I love my '96 Deville Concours the ride, guts (INTERIOR), body style (rear quater panels), ect. My wife does not, she thinks it's a lemon and in reality she's right. I constantly working on this vehicle to get it the way it should be. I bought the car off the original owner, an elderly lady, she got rid of it because it was in the shop constantly and it even had an overheating problem from the day I bought it which the dealer could not solve until I told them what to do (dealers don't like that). I definetly don't think a Lexus will beat a Cadillac Deville's ride or comfort. I know this because I have two discs out of my back and can feel every pebble and bump in the road in anything I drive except for my Deville. By the way I bought this car for $9000 with 62,000 miles on it (big depreciation but good for me). The Lexus is superior in reliability to Cadillac's, I also know this for a fact also. In researching an extended warranty the Cadillac is considered a class 5 out of 6 with 6 being the worst in reliability the Lexus is at the opposite end of the scale listed as a 1. I'll keep my Deville because I am mechanically inclined and can fix the car myself (I just fixed my own AC with this boards help and saved thousands over a dealer fixing it for me). I've been restoring cars for 24 yrs. now and I' m not afraid to tackle anything on the Deville. Good luck in whatever you decide to do, be sure to buy the car you like best, you will be the one living with the decision you make. caddydude :D

Used to run a 240Z in the early 70's. Kicked A.ss!!!, wasn't mine. If I had the money (ok, i know it wouldn't be that much, but 4 out of 5 kids are not out of college yet!), I would love to get my hands on a 240z in reasonable condition. Great handling, great engine, great trans - defined what a sports car should be. Never had an mg or a Triumph, although in the day I wanted one (TR7 was so cool), but the 240z, I believe would run circles around any mg's or Tr's (ha, and I mean once you got them started!).

Not to diss the brit sports car genre, lots of greatness there ... Austin Healy 3000 MKxx, Jenson Interceptor (always wanted on of those), Sunbeam Tiger (want one of those too, grrrr) (ok, i realize that 2 of 3 cars named have American engines and drive trains ... notice i did not mention AC). I could continue, but don't quite know why.

Uhhh, ok this thread has something to do with a caddy owner buying a lexus. ok, now I remember. Enjoy the Lexus ...

I will continue with my '95 etc (140K), drive it like I stole it, fix it when necessary, and probably will know what and how to fix because of this forum.

My friends and I have owned Caddys for the last 10 years or so. One of them decided to try a Lexus (a 1999 with around 40,000 miles). It was certainly nice and had a VERY smooth ride. The seats were not as substantial as a Cadillac, but extremely comfortable, maybe the most comfortable I've experienced. Nice interior and good sound system. Nice looking exterior.

As nice as it was, that's all it was --Nice. When I drove it I felt like I was in a putt-putt car. Peppy, but not the least bit exciting. Definitely there was something missing. Because it had no muscle there was no sporty feeling. Additionally, the sound system in the STS blew away the Lexus, and in my opinion, the STS exterior and interior was sharper. In comparison, the Lexus seemed a little safer and as a result somewhat boring. Long story short, a week or so after he bought it he saw a 1999 STS (the most stunning red color I have ever seen) in the paper. Sure the ride was not as smooth, but it was WAY more powerful, sporty and FUN to drive. He gave the Lexus to his son, bought the Cadillac and has never looked back. He knows that there will be some issues with Caddy, but side by side there was really no choice.

The Lexus seems like a nice car, but it's not a Caddy. Maybe some day I'll opt for the safer choice in terms of reliability and politeness, but not today.

On the other hand, I will admit that the picture of the Lexus you posted is pretty fine looking. I certainly wouldn't be embarassed to own it.

Best of luck in your choice.

I was a proud owner of an LS400 for a short

stint, until I gave it to my father (who

happens to enjoy it). I quickly grew to dislike

it particularly because of the road noise and

the stuffy feeling kind of like being trapped.

Lexus sure are quiet at idle (that's how they

rate them sometimes to lure in folks) but take

that Japanese box on rough pavement and it roars.

Also, the drivetrain had a vibration at 1700 RPM

and another wicked vibration at 55. Call me

what you will but I'll take my trusty 1984

Oldsmobile Delta 88 over any Japanese mobile.

Good luck on your move to Lexus. Can you report back to the board occasionally on factual comparisons. It would be great to hear from someone who has actually owned both cars. I would prefer to upgrade to a 2001 also......STS

Do you have an ego complex which requires you to have a new car every few years? I ask that question seriously because I've got news for ya -- if you don't like the '05 STS, you don't HAVE to buy one! LOL If you like the 98-04 generation, buy another one of those. Your current car is just getting broken in. I wouldn't trade my '97 with 135k for any new Japcrap. To some people, it's all about the bling-bling. But some people buy cars for THEM, and not for others.

If you like the '01 Lexus more than your '01 STS, trade it. If you like the '05 Lexus better than the '05 STS, then buy the Lexus. But dumping your '01 Cadillac, and trading to a same-year Lexus, just because you don't like the new '05s...doesn't make a bit of sense to me. Help me understand! LOL

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Guys I guess I'll be staying on board for the following reasons...

1. The Mrs said "Hell No !!" to the Lexus purchase, we don't need restart another debt...

2. I'm trying to get a house before 30 yrs old and a price of a home in the North East is ridiculiously high. I got a couple of years to do it.

3. The Caddy will be paid off in a couple of months and I have a few inexpensive things on my "repair list" that would make the car a 100%

4. I found out the Lexus engine has a timing belt not chain !!! In a V8 !! come on!!!

5. Finally, I couldn't let my baby go just yet. I owned it for close to 4 yrs and it has been well behaved. I've pampered it, done my own oil changes, making sure exactly 7 1/2 qts is added, put about 10 coats of wax on it a year. I try to avoid driving it in snow, even though it drives very well in it. I wipe it down daily and tuck it in at night with a car cover.

Guess I was just getting bored. Yes the Lexus Ls430 has more options and is a little faster and rwd 5 speed. But, my Caddy is pretty darn good and it doesn't embarass it self when competing with other high end luxury vehicles. Being fwd and only having 4 speeds was never a negative for me. It's faster than most things on the road and a monster on the highway reaching up to 150 mph. Besides navigation, I could never think of a luxury option I wished my caddy had.

I guess I will be keeping him for a while.....

I would love to get my hands on a 240z in reasonable condition. Great handling, great engine, great trans - defined what a sports car should be.

The 240Z was a neat car,...but you forgot to mention the interiors, which fell apart after 3 years on all the Z's of that era.

I have never seen a 510 datsun, much less consider wanting one, but maybe some people like them. Me, Ill take a GTO or a convertible Cadillac to cruise with. My buddy has a beautiful Impala convertible that he let me drive once. Everyone, and I mean everyone, looked as I drove by.

I dont notice these looks when in my friends Lexus or even in my own Cadillac. I cant imagine people looking at a 510.( I looked up images of 510 in Google)

The NSX, I can see people looking at, but at that price range Id rather be in a Viper or a German Import. Not only that, people will ask you what is an NSX, and you will say its a car that tries to be like a ferrari, but its a Honda.

My neighbor has a dark blue Viper, and boy is it nice. You can see that baby rolling up, and no one will race him.

But the point is, each their own. Excuse my ranting

I would love to get my hands on a 240z in reasonable condition. Great handling, great engine, great trans - defined what a sports car should be.

The 240Z was a neat car,...but you forgot to mention the interiors, which fell apart after 3 years on all the Z's of that era.

uhhh ... i didn't own it, just drove it. it was great, the little bit of interior didn't make a bit of diff. That era was the first couple of years they made them and they were sparse, there were few interior bits to fall off, would not be too difficult to staple those bits back up lol. I remember driving 110 up an open interstate, and my young wife was writing a letter to her parents with no awareness that we were going pretty fast. It was so smooth and responsive, that even high speed could be not noticed. And btw, there was little to no interior bits to this sports car. It was just a great sports car, no fluff. Natch, in later models they screwed it up and made it into the 260 then the 280 and turn it into a crappy boulevard cruiser.

Next quote :

"I have never seen a 510 datsun, much less consider wanting one"

uhhh, who did?

I repeat, if I found a reconditioned, original 240z (not 260, 280 or and other numerical combination), i would be grinning ear to ear on every curve.

The NSX, I can see people looking at, but at that price range Id rather be in a Viper or a German Import. Not only that, people will ask you what is an NSX, and you will say its a car that tries to be like a ferrari, but its a Honda.

My neighbor has a dark blue Viper, and boy is it nice. You can see that baby rolling up, and no one will race him.

Friend, if you spent a day in an NSX on challenging roads, you would not question the price. It is as much of a car as the Ferrari's you mention and much less costly.

And why buy new?

I never bought any of my better drives new, wouldn't have my etc otherwise. My < 20 year old daughter's friend has an nsx ... we are not in an affluent area (my drive is a 95 etc with 140k miles) Viper? German import (guess you mean bmw)?

"Tries to be Ferrari, but is a Honda". How small minded. Honda's beat Ferrari's in factory sponsered racing often, bet the Ferrari's beat the Honda's sometimes too! Soo, effing what??? They are great cars, all of them.

Lets not let this forum descent into juvenile comparisons. I used to do that. This car is 4 tenths of a second faster to whatever speed. So what? Do you like your drive, does it do what you need or like? Do you enjoy it? Are you going to lose the girl if you are 2 hundreds of a second slower to something, if not, she ain't worth it .... uhhh the girl not the car ....

I am only going to say this. I owned a brand new Nissan 240SX with 5-speed, 16 valve, in 1991, it was my mid-life crisis car. It was really HYPED by the press. After that car I promised myself that I would NEVER own a japanese car again. Not only was it a white knuckle car in the wet weather, but the quality was really poor. I could feel the car oversteering on exit ramps in wet weather, it required the lightest touch to keep it from doing a 360. WHere I rested my arm on the door was dented, the seat wore out in one year. I would be driving down the highway and stuff would fall off and out from under the dashboard. The best was when I was doing 70 and the front WHEELWELL exploded off the car. I had three accidents with that car one of which was due to wet weather where I did a 360 on an expressway. Based on that experience you could not give me an overpowered, lightass japanese car ever again. Mike

Last comment on this thread, honest... just to reiterate .... my Datsun comments were all about a 240Z. Not a 510, or a 240 sx (my father in law has one of those, don't get me started).

240Z is a way fun sports car. Period.

Ok look, I'm the guy that started the rant defending the Japanese "Classics". I currently have an NSX, as well as a few others. There's been a few good claims about the NSX, so I don't need to back it up. Like 'rmac' said, drive if for a day, you won't ever knock it again. I also brought up the 240Z, that I spent a lot of time in in the early seventies. Another killer. But...doesn't anybody remember the original early seventies Datsun 510 the did all that damage in the SCCA Trans Am series? We called it "The poor man's BMW" It was a light, fast little two-door with the first 4 wheel independent suspension (for Japanese cars), an OHC 2 liter four banger, and a 5 speed. Man, that little ride, when set up (which everybody did) went like hell. It gave all us more "sophisticated" car pilots BIG headaches. I was driving '72 BMW 2002 Tii, and a '66 Alfa Romeo Guilia Sprint GTA in the SCCA Pacific Coast regionals during the mid seventies, and those Datsun 510's were our worst nightmares come true. I really came to respect those cars, and drove a good friend's often. They still have a real cult following, and out here in Ca. a nice 2 door would get a good price, and you would probably see it at the next "classic" races held every year at Sears Point, and Laguna Seca.

user posted image

I repeat, if I found a reconditioned, original 240z (not 260, 280 or and other numerical combination), i would be grinning ear to ear on every curve.

I agree, and would like one too. A few years ago, a lady who sold me my new home had a black 240Z in pristine condition sitting outside her sales office. She had borrowed from her boyfirend, who restored it. I had forgotten how much more "pure" they were from the 260Z and 280Z.

It's a classic,....like the TR6 of that time...

Another killer. But...doesn't anybody remember the original early seventies Datsun 510 the did all that damage in the SCCA Trans Am series? We called it "The poor man's BMW" It was a light, fast little two-door with the first 4 wheel independent suspension (for Japanese cars), an OHC 2 liter four banger, and a 5 speed. Man, that little ride, when set up (which everybody did) went like hell.

Hey, Bobd:

Did not see your post for some reason (couldn't have been the gin. ha!).... Anyway, yep, i remember what you mean. The 510 could be a real kick *smurf* ride if set up right and not driven by your grandmother's sister, or mine either for that matter .. oh ... or my fiancee's brother (early 70's).

I have aspired to such experiences, but alas have not been able to come to the table. I have, however won every slot car or go-cart race I have ever participated in. That and a quarter will still not buy a cup of joe.

Oh, as to the early 260's being 'pure' and still a great sports car ride, sure. The slide to boulevard cruiser was gradual and some of the 260's were probably quite good. Have to give credit however, to the last of the breed, the 300's (am I correct? they were zx's). Anyway I have it on good authority that they were the real deal also ( I think I remember Brock Yates commenting as such). Anyway, between early 260's and the later 300's, skip the in-betweens).

And Bobd ... race you up 280 some time ... Magdelana to Woodside? .... loser buys. oh, forgot to mention, the race is only up to the speed limit, but I can't remember what that is... hate when that happens ....

And Bobd ... race you up 280 some time ... Magdelana to Woodside? .... loser buys. oh, forgot to mention, the race is only up to the speed limit, but I can't remember what that is... hate when that happens ....

rmac-etc, Are we off topic here, or what ?? LOL

Magdalena to Woodside? Why, those are my old stomping grounds! In fact, I think I remember telling some story here a while back on a thread about exceeding some kind of limits...Back when 280 was a new and empty highway in the early seventies, I made a run from Magdalena (lived near there, up near St. Josephs seminary) to Sand Hill Road. I drove that Alfa GTA (with borrowed plates from another street legal Alfa), in a fairly civilized fashion up to Sand Hill, then got off, came around and got back on 280 for an "Italian tuneup" ....As I was winding it up in forth and starting to look for fifth, a black and white Polara 440 was right on my back bumper. I, to this day don't know where that CHP came from, but he 'coached' me to the side of the road (up near Page Mill by now), and proceeded to tell me he clocked me at 131 mph, and was still accelerating...."Yep, I just spent all morning tuning it"... Duh...Fortunately this guy was near the end of his shift, and told me so. (Otherwise, I was looking at facing a judge, and bailing out an impounded car.) I was also told to NEVER be seen with this car out here again...

So...even though it's been 30 years, I still won't run that stretch of road...

I will, however be racing go carts this weekend. Hey, we all have to aspire to something... ;)

user posted image

Archived