CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

head gasket decisions

caddypete

Oh no another headgasket problem. My Eldo had a radiator crack a few weeks ago where it would lose coolant slowly. I had the radiator replaced, it then lost coolant slowly again until one day it lost all coolant in about 20 miles I left it and returned a few hours later where it took 2 gallons of fluid to fill. I brought it back to my mechanic who pressure tested it and it lost no coolant. I told him after putting 2 gallons in it to get it home, I also put another 2 gallons in it to take it to him. I told him to keep it for a few days and see what happens. In the mean time I bought my elderly neighbors 96 Pontiac Transport for 1,800 I couldn't pass it up with only 52,000 miles on it and well maintained.He could not find any leaks. So I asked him to do a test for exhaust in the coolant, it failed the test. I figured I had a problem on my rear bank with random miss fires and o2 sensor on that bank. Now the question is do I try a head and block sealer which I don't really have faith in,replace the engine, I know where there is a engine and tranny from a 2003 dts that was T boned for 1600 or do I sell it and drive a mini van? With 110,000 miles on it I'm not sure that I want to spend the money on a headgasket repair.What's your guys thoughts?

This question has been answered many times, block sealer does not work on the type of head gasket problem your Northstar has. If it were simply a breach in the head gasket from a blow out of some sort, those glass products may work for awhile, but your head is actually rising from combusion, there is movement in the joint between the head and block because the bolts are pulled out of the block. As a result no sealer will be able to seal that kind of problem.

Even doing this job yourself its an expensive propostion given that you need to buy a timesert or stud kit, gasket set, bolts, pull the engine, engine hoist, flywheel holder, engine stand, etc

Then there is having someone do the job, the first problem of which is finding someone who will do the job right with timeserts or studs

Then there is buying a used engine, always a risky thing to do

Then there is buying a new or reman engine

I am in the process of planning the job on my car, but it is so expensive when you start adding a new torque converter, new muffler crossover, case half seals, main bearings, rod bearings, HVAC cover, and anything else I find wrong along the way. I have a knocking so who knows

At times I believe it makes sense to just find a new one, but I want the challenge of rebuilding this engine

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

To replace the motor and tranny sounds like the best bet. The one out of the 03 DTS was removed by dropping the whole cradle. It has only 68,000 miles on it, mechanic said he could do the swap for around 800 dollars,and then 1600 for the engine and tranny which is pretty close in price to just having the headgasket done

To replace the motor and tranny sounds like the best bet. The one out of the 03 DTS was removed by dropping the whole cradle. It has only 68,000 miles on it, mechanic said he could do the swap for around 800 dollars,and then 1600 for the engine and tranny which is pretty close in price to just having the headgasket done

I would assume the engine and tranny are used judging by it only being 1600$ for them. The biggest issue I see personally with putting a used engine in vs having the head gaskets replaced on the existing one is that you don't know that you won't encounter the same issues with the "new" engine (unless it has already had them replaced). If you have your head gaskets replaced on the one that's in the car, then you can rest assured you won't see another head gasket problem, as long as the job is done correctly. I'm not trying to talk you into changing your mind, just giving you something else to consider.

big4870885.jpg

I do not think the 2003 DTS engine will work in the 2000 Eldorado - there is no provisions to mount the dogbone torque struts on the 2003 engine. There may be other issues with compatability between the two applications that I'm not aware of.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived