CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Front left wheel clunk

CarlaValentine

Keep in mind that the spring seats (#3) are simply pieces of metal, that don't wear, and strut mounts (#2) have rubber in them that dries out and wears, they can squeak on turns, can make noise, allow vibration and cause problems for alignments

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I get a mild clunking noise - it almost sounds like it is muffled - when going over bumps or if I swerve the car from side to side. It is coming from the right front of the car (on both cars...) I thought the end links were tight but I'll need to double check. I hate replacing good parts...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Well, I just got home from being out all day today. We put a good 100 miles on the car, and still no clunking! My rear end still sounds lame, but that's because the shocks back there are flat and won't hold any air, so the car rides like it's on bricks in the back. I hope to resolve that issue within the next month or so.

The only bad news is my SES light came on today for the first time in about 3 weeks. P039: TCC/VCC engagement problem.... I guess it's back to looking for transmission problems for me. I thought I could get off without having to service the trans until the weather is warm, but I guess not.

big4870885.jpg

I am sad to say that today I noticed I still have (or it came back) a clunk. It is barely noticeable, nowhere near as bad as it was before. Most people probably wouldn't notice it if they weren't "looking" for it, but I can tell it's there. It seems to randomly happen when I hit bumps. I say randomly because it doesn't always happen, and it doesn't matter what size the bump is. It sounds like it's coming from the front center area of the car underneath. I also noticed today at about the same time I noticed the clunk that my car has developed a "shimmy" now as well. It starts to shake a little around 25mph. The shaking gets harder, but not faster, as my speed increases. At 65mph it feels outright like I have a bent wheel in the front (I don't) and I had to slow down out of fear of something breaking. I've had my suspension checked over, less the strut rod bushings, and I've had the steering checked and everything seems ok there. I had checked my motor mounts about a month and a half ago and they were fine. (I guess it's safe to guess they COULD have developed a problem since then). Aside from these things, is there anything anyone can think of that could cause this? I also double checked the wheel lugs to be sure they were tightened right since I had the wheels off to do the sway bar links a few days ago, and they are fine as well.

big4870885.jpg

Archived