CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Possible Problem "Starting delayed, wait 3 minutes"

Hey,

I have a 99 DeVille. It has the 4.6 Northstar and only 72xxx miles. I bought it 3 months ago from my 92 year old neighbor because she could no longer drive safely. This morning I drove about 50 miles at about 65 mph. I got to my destination and shut the car off for about 5 minutes. I came back out to start it and it didn't even turn over. It said "Starting delayed, wait 3 minutes". So I waited the three minutes and it started, but it was an extremely rough start. I drove for about 10 minutes and parked it. I then shut it off and turned it back on and it started right up. I've never had a problem with it until now. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

David

Sounds like an issue with the PASS key security system - most likely broken wires in the ignition lock cylinder. Chech the trouble codes and post back or look them up on this site.

If it turns out to be the wires in the ignition lock cylinder, the PASS key system can be bypassed with resistors.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Please also check the how-to page here: http://caddyinfo.com/wordpress/?page_id=3085

For info on passkey errors here: http://www.caddyinfo.com/passkey.htm

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Hey,

I have a 99 DeVille. It has the 4.6 Northstar and only 72xxx miles. I bought it 3 months ago from my 92 year old neighbor because she could no longer drive safely. This morning I drove about 50 miles at about 65 mph. I got to my destination and shut the car off for about 5 minutes. I came back out to start it and it didn't even turn over. It said "Starting delayed, wait 3 minutes". So I waited the three minutes and it started, but it was an extremely rough start. I drove for about 10 minutes and parked it. I then shut it off and turned it back on and it started right up. I've never had a problem with it until now. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

David

Are you in nebraska?

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

Hey,

Thanks in advance,

David

If it's anything like the PASS Key system that went out on the '94 Olds a few years ago, it's only going to get worse until the car won't start at all. The repair's not cheap, either. My regular mechanic couldn't figure out what was wrong and the 'stealership' hit me up for $327 to replace the ignition switch, whatever computer module controls the PASS Key system, and to cut another key.

The secret to flying is to throw yourself at the ground--and miss!

--Douglas Adams Life, The Universe, and Everything

caddyplate.jpg

Archived