CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

'97 Concours hard to start

I've got a '97 Deville Concours that runs great--once I get it started. I usually have to grind on the starter for five or ten seconds to get it going. The battery is fine and the starter seems okay, at least for now. I know I'm putting undue wear on it. The problem doesn't seem to be temperature related and the only time it starts like it should is when it's been turned off for just a couple of minutes. I've checked codes and don't see anything that seems related to this problem. The few that come up are "history" codes and have been there for a while.

My intuition is telling me it's just taking a while for fuel to get to the engine. Any concrete insights would be greatly appreciated.

The secret to flying is to throw yourself at the ground--and miss!

--Douglas Adams Life, The Universe, and Everything

caddyplate.jpg

I have no idea how to check fuel pressure, but the codes I'm getting are as follows:

P0300 History (Engine Misfire Detected)

P0503 History (Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) Circuit Intermittent)

B2148 Current (RH mirror vertical sensor low)

B2150 Current (RH mirror horizontal sensor low)

The engine misfires became a thing of the past once I replaced the ignition coils last fall and the two mirror codes relate to the right hand mirror I put on the car after I broke the original one going through a bank drive thru. The original mirror was heated and self-dimming and the replacement one is just a basic mirror. I have no idea what the vehicle speed sensor thing is all about.

The secret to flying is to throw yourself at the ground--and miss!

--Douglas Adams Life, The Universe, and Everything

caddyplate.jpg

I have no idea how to check fuel pressure, but the codes I'm getting are as follows:

P0300 History (Engine Misfire Detected)

P0503 History (Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) Circuit Intermittent)

B2148 Current (RH mirror vertical sensor low)

B2150 Current (RH mirror horizontal sensor low)

The engine misfires became a thing of the past once I replaced the ignition coils last fall and the two mirror codes relate to the right hand mirror I put on the car after I broke the original one going through a bank drive thru. The original mirror was heated and self-dimming and the replacement one is just a basic mirror. I have no idea what the vehicle speed sensor thing is all about.

Its not likely that the misfire is a thing of the past, A History DTC will clear after eighty drive cycles within the same driving parameters that set the DTC with no failures of any emission related diagnostic test.

So you are getting a misfire, I would believe you are still getting it.

Your VSS is located on top of the tranny output shaft, check the connector for a loose connection.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Archived