CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Using gas for power steering?

This really isn't Cadillac based, but I couldn't find a batter place to post it.

My father-in-law had to have his car serviced yesterday for a power steering problem. The high pressure hose blew out while I had it, big mess, you get the idea.... Anyhow, he brought it to his mechanic yesterday to have it fixed, no problems, but when he went to pick it up the mechanic asked him if anyone had ever used gasoline in it instead of power steering fluid. I was asked about it, since I was the one who had refilled it when it still had just a minor leak, and I said no, of course not. I've ONLY put power steering fluid in it. I guess his mechanic told him that he has heard of people using gasoline instead of power steering fluid and told him never to do this because it can cause serious damage to the PS system. I can't imagine why...blink.gif

Has anyone else ever heard of anything like this? It sounds absurd to me to think anyone would really be that absent-minded, to put gasoline in a power steering system!

big4870885.jpg

Was the car under warranty?

I had a situation where my girlfriend had her transmission rebuilt by AAMC* with a lifetime warranty. It was necessary to put fluid in it as it was leaking. It started leaking badly and slipping and she said no biggie, I have a lifetime warranty, Ill just take it back. I went with her. The mechanic came into the waiting room and said, someone put brake fluid in the tranny, that was the problem.... After an extended argument, telling them that I and only I put fluid into it, they said OK, We will fix it but we have to void the lifetime warranty.

Brake fluid, in the tranny...

No I have never seen anyone put gas in a power steering pump nor should you

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

No, it wasn't under warranty, but it only cost 80$ all together (parts and labor) to get it fixed. He knows the mechanic, he's a trustworthy guy, and he always gives him a good price on any work he has done there, so I doubt it's an issue of trying to get anything out of it. Now I'm just imagining the mess this mechanic possibly had to clean up before because of someone putting gas in the PS pump. Obviously he must have seen it happen somewhere, and it was probably a car he had the luck of fixing.

Your girlfriend's problem with her tranny is the reason I don't ever want to bring my car to have work done on it by someone else. I'm the kind of person who won't be comfortable with the work that's done unless I was watching everything as it was being done. I'm also the person who won't understand or believe a mechanic about a problem unless it can be proven or shown to me. I know not all mechanics are out to screw people over, but I wouldn't want to take that chance. Not when it comes to my car and my money. That is why I prefer to do my own work whenever possible, and when it's not possible I go to my brother because I know he's ok with me watching him and explaining everything to me in fine detail as he does it.

big4870885.jpg

This sounds about like a buddy of mine who used to races Fords. he states (to this day even) that you can run Mountain Dew as a coolant. Never saw it done in my life but he swears you can do it... Told him several times to prove it but he wont... Sounds like something is fishy there!lol Here we go with my weirdo stories again! yall are getting them all out of me now! LOL if I don't get banned for being crazy it will be a miracle.

Sean M.

1997 Cadillac DeVille

I drink Mountain Dew every day. Mountain dew is loaded with sugar. Sugar melts and caramelizes and gets sticky when it gets hot. Boil some at 200 degrees or so in a pot on the stove and see what happens to it. Myth debunked. There's no way that can be true.

As for being crazy, there's nothing wrong with crazy....I was crazy once. Perhaps I still am. I may never really know for sure. Crazy people don't know they're crazy, after all.blink.gif

big4870885.jpg

This really isn't Cadillac based, but I couldn't find a batter place to post it.

My father-in-law had to have his car serviced yesterday for a power steering problem. The high pressure hose blew out while I had it, big mess, you get the idea.... Anyhow, he brought it to his mechanic yesterday to have it fixed, no problems, but when he went to pick it up the mechanic asked him if anyone had ever used gasoline in it instead of power steering fluid. I was asked about it, since I was the one who had refilled it when it still had just a minor leak, and I said no, of course not. I've ONLY put power steering fluid in it. I guess his mechanic told him that he has heard of people using gasoline instead of power steering fluid and told him never to do this because it can cause serious damage to the PS system. I can't imagine why...blink.gif

Has anyone else ever heard of anything like this? It sounds absurd to me to think anyone would really be that absent-minded, to put gasoline in a power steering system!

Carla, are you sure the mechanic were not talking about ATF? Some add ATF instead of power steering fluid.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Carla, are you sure the mechanic were not talking about ATF? Some add ATF instead of power steering fluid.

No. He said gas. I've heard of people using ATF before. Even brake fluid. That wouldn't have surprised me any. The car is going back in a few days for a wheel bearing, so I'll have to ask about it. I really want to know what kind of moron would use gas....

big4870885.jpg

I saw my grandfather put motor oil in a power steering pump once. I think it was in a '68 Olds Vista Cruiser station wagon he had when I was a kid. He had that car for quite a while.

The secret to flying is to throw yourself at the ground--and miss!

--Douglas Adams Life, The Universe, and Everything

caddyplate.jpg

I also heard of a little ATF in the oil prior to a change to clean things up internally.

and

putting ATF into the coolant to swell & lube the seals of the waterpump. and pepper to seal leaks.

of course I would never do that to my car.

In the lowrider world, for our hydraulics we can use a few different types of fluid. Pretty much any type of oil that doesnt sud can work. Non sudding motor oil, tractor hydraulic fluid, hydraulic jack fluid, power steering fluid, transmission fluid. Its all a form of hydraulic fluid that doesnt easily sud.

So for the powersteering thats a hydraulic system of its own and though some will work better than others im sure all these listed would work. Just not what it was designed to use.

I dont understand why anyone would substitute fluids for what its supposed to have. All fluids dont really cost that much and for the moron that uses mountain dew, mountain dew boils and mountain dew freezes, so how is it going to protect against either extreme? Plus how much is 3-4 gallons of mountain dew cost compared to just putting in coolant that works.... dumb!

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

Somehow leftovers of several car fluids (motor oil, ATF, DOT3, PS fluid) got mixed, and I did not know how to recycle that cocktail. Looks like adding it to PS reservoir is the way to go! :D

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Archived